When you are using the computer, suddenly it crashes with a blue screen and prompts the Critical Process Died error. The issue most commonly seen in Windows 10 computer after installing the few updates. Blue screen error and the system crash is the most annoying errors in the Windows computers. There are different factors causing the blue screen errors including the hardware and software issues.
2) Install program and click Scan button.
3) Click Fix Errors button when scan is completed.
4) Restart your computer.
What is Critical Process Died error?
Critical Process Died blue screen of death error occurs with the error code 0X000000EF which means that a critical system process in the computer is died. This error usually can cause some more issues in the computer like damage of the hard disk, memory and sometimes the processor. However, if the issue is identified and sorted out as early as possible, you can continue using the computer without any issues.
When does the Critical Process Died blue screen of death occurs?
There are different instances in which this blue screen occurs. We have listed a few in which the crash has been observed most frequently.
- Critical Process Died after update: The error occurs after installing the latest updates or upgrading to the latest version in the computer.
- Error Critical Process Died after Sleep: Sometimes, when the user tries to wake up the computer after the sleep, the system crashes with the blue screen error.
- Critical process Died after login: The error also seen after logging into the computer. As soon as logging to the computer, the system crashes and reboots automatically.
- BSOD Critical Process Died after the Creators update: The system crashed to most of the users after installing the Creators update with the error Critical Process Died.
- Critical Process Died while gaming: When you are playing the high end games in the computer, you will see these kinds of system crash frequently.
- Error Critical Process Died Windows 10 loop: The system crash may sometimes trigger loops, preventing users to use their computers.
- Critical Process Died on startup: Most of the users also reported that the system crash has happened at the startup of the computer before the login screen.
The above are some of the instances where the system crash with the error Critical Process Died has observed. There might be some other instances as well. However, you can follow the step by step procedure in this article to fix the blue screen of death issue.
How to fix blue screen error Critical Process Died?
Follow the below resolution steps one by one and check if the issue got fixed after each step. If the issue remains after each step, then you can proceed with the further resolution steps.
Quick Note: Before making any changes in the computer, I suggest you to create a System Restore Point, so that you can restore back your computer to previous working state if something goes wrong.
Step 1: Uninstall the latest updates.
The issue with Critical Process Died blue screen error occurred after installing the latest updates for most of the Windows users. So, you can try uninstalling the latest updates installed in the computer and check if the issue gets fix.
To uninstall the latest Windows Updates, follow the below resolution steps:
- Go to Settings, navigate to Windows Update and select view Update history button.
2. Go to uninstall Updates.
3. Select the updates that you want to uninstall and click uninstall.
4. Cumulative updates consists of all previously released updates. When Microsoft releases a new cumulative update and you download it, you will also receive an update you had to uninstall because of which the blue scree of death occurred.
Step 2: Reboot the computer in Safe mode.
By rebooting your computer in safe mode, we can load only basic drives and default software’s. Observe your computer in safe mode for few moments to make sure computer is not rebooting in safe mode. Moreover, it is only rebooting when it is in normal mode. Usually anti-virus or corrupted graphics drives cause blue screen error. Hence, let us go ahead and reinstall both.
On previous versions of Windows such as Windows 7, at the beginning of the boot, you are able to press the F8 key to access the Advanced Boot Options menu, where you can enable Safe Mode. However, on Windows 10, the F8 key does not work anymore because the start procedure became faster than ever before. However, that does not mean that Windows 10 has no Safe Mode. It is just that to get to it you have to follow other procedures from this link: Learn how to reboot your computer in safe mode.
Uninstall graphics drives using official removal tools.
Download graphics driver’s uninstallation tools from below link. In addition, run them to remove graphics drivers.
- AMD/ ATI Driver Uninstaller: http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/downloads.html
- NVIDIA Driver Uninstaller: http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/downloads.html
- Alternate link for both drivers Uninstaller: http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
Download and reinstall graphics drives from official website.
You can reinstall graphics drives after removing antivirus software.
- Automatically detect NVIDIA Driver: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Scan.aspx?lang=en-us
- Automatically detect AMD/ATI Driver: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool
Here are major computer manufacturers from where you can download drivers for your computer.
Uninstall anti-virus software using official removal tools.
Find your antivirus from below guide to download and remove them.
- Temporarily disable any antivirus firewall
- Remove-reinstall Norton anti-virus using Norton removal tool
- How to Completely uninstall AVG products
Once you removed anti–virus from your computer using above removal tools. Please restart your computer in normal mode and Download and reinstall graphics drivers from above links. Hope your computer is working fine without rebooting now. If not continue with step 3.
Step 3: Repair bad sectors in hard disk drive.
To run it from Command Prompt, here are the instructions:
- Press Windows key to open the Start Menu
- Select Search
- Type-in CMD
- Right-click on Command Prompt from the search results list
- Right Click and Run as administrator
- In command prompt type as below.
- chkdsk C: /f /r /x
The parameters for this command are:
/f option will attempt to fix any found errors
/r option will locate for bad sectors and recovery any readable information
/x option will force the volume you’re about to check to be dismounted before the utility begins a scan
If the C: drive is in use, type Y to run a scan at your PC’s next restart. If so, exit Command Prompt and restart the computer.
Step 4: Repair or refresh your computer.
If in case corrupted operating system files are corrupted, still you face Blue screen Critical Process Died error in your computer. Hence, please go ahead and repair or reinstall your computer.
Note: As I said above faulty hardware also can cause the issues. Remove or replace if you have reinstalled any hardware’s. Before you proceed with repair or reinstall make you have taken your computer data back into external drive, as reinstall will erase your computer completely.
Hope you were able to fix the issues by following this guide. If you still getting Critical Process Died blue screen error then it should be related faulty hardware. You may have to contact your computer manufacturer for further support. Comment below or ask more in our Forum.