What is Blue Screen unexpected_kernel_mode_trap?
Blue Screen error also called as Stop Error, Stop Code, Blue Screen of Death error (BSOD) and System Crash, Fatal System Error. When you see this error, your computer might reboot or shut down unexpectedly. Blue screen errors can be caused by both Hardware and Software issues. Usually you see blue screen error when faulty hardware installed on your computer such as RAM (Random access memory), PCI VGA cards, and Faulty PCI hardware’s. In this guide, learn how to fix Blue screen unexpected_kernel_mode_trap error on your computer with Windows 10/8.1/7 operating systems.
RECOMMENDED: Fix this issue in 3 simple steps. Takes only 2 minutes.
1) Download repair utility.
2) Install program and click Scan button.
3) Click Fix Errors button when scan is completed.
4) Restart your computer.
Symptom Blue Screen unexpected_kernel_mode_trap
When Blue Screen unexpected_kernel_mode_trap error occurs, your computer will reboot or shut down unexpectedly, PC crashes and freezes. You see below blue screen unhappy error on your computer screen as shown in the below images.
- Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We are just collecting some error info, and then we will restart for you.
- If you’d like to know more, you can search online later for this error “UNEXPECTED KERNEL MODE TRAP”
Why your computer is rebooting or shutting down unexpectedly?
What is Causing Blue Screen unexpected_kernel_mode_trap?
You may face blue screen error when below reasons are true in your computer.
- RAM (Random access memory) fails to match an expected value or RAM is not compatible.
- VGA or PCI hardware are faulty / not compatible.
- Faulty Anti-virus / Firewall configuration.
- Operating system files are faulty.
- Recently installed RAM / hardware is not compatible.
- Incompatible hardware drivers.
- Faulty Windows updates
How to fix Blue screen unexpected_kernel_mode_trap
Quick Note: Before making any changes in your computer, I suggest you to create a System Restore point so that you can restore back your computer to previous working stat if something goes wrong.
Step 1: Faulty RAM (Random access memory).
Usually when RAM triggers read and write error you see Blue screen unexpected_kernel_mode_trap. Let us first diagnose the RAM. Windows 7 includes built-in features to help you identify and diagnose problems with memory. You can run the Windows Memory Diagnostics utility by completing the following steps:
- Click Start, type mdsched.exe in the Search box, and then press Enter.
- Choose whether to restart the computer and run the tool immediately or schedule the tool to run at the next restart.
- Windows Memory Diagnostics runs automatically after the computer restarts and performs a standard memory test automatically. If you want to perform fewer or more tests, press F1, use the Up and Down arrow keys to set the Test Mix as Basic, Standard, or Extended, and then press F10 to apply the desired settings and resume testing.
- When testing completed, the computer restarts automatically. You will see the test results when you log on.
Note: that if a computer crashes because of failing memory, and Windows Memory Diagnostics detects this, the system will prompt you to schedule a memory test the next time the computer restarted. In addition, you may have to replace RAM memory to get rid of it. Source.
Step 2: Reboot the computer in Safe mode.
By rebooting your computer in safe mode, we can load only basic drives and default software’s. Observe your computer in safe mode for few moments to make sure computer is not rebooting in safe mode. Moreover, it is only rebooting when it is in normal mode. Usually anti-virus or corrupted graphics drives cause blue screen error. Hence, let us go ahead and reinstall both.
On previous versions of Windows such as Windows 7, at the beginning of the boot, you are able to press the F8 key to access the Advanced Boot Options menu, where you can enable Safe Mode. However, on Windows 10, the F8 key does not work anymore because the start procedure became faster than ever before. However, that does not mean that Windows 10 has no Safe Mode. It is just that to get to it you have to follow other procedures from this link: Learn how to reboot your computer in safe mode.
Uninstall graphics drives using official removal tools.
Download graphics driver’s uninstallation tools from below link. In addition, run them to remove graphics drivers.
- AMD/ ATI Driver Uninstaller: http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/downloads.html
- NVIDIA Driver Uninstaller: http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/downloads.html
- Alternate link for both drivers Uninstaller: http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
Download and reinstall graphics drives from official website.
You can reinstall graphics drives after removing antivirus software.
- Automatically detect NVIDIA Driver: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Scan.aspx?lang=en-us
- Automatically detect AMD/ATI Driver: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool
Here are major computer manufacturers from where you can download drivers for your computer.
Uninstall anti-virus software using official removal tools.
Find your antivirus from below guide to download and remove them.
- Temporarily disable any antivirus firewall
- Remove-reinstall Norton anti-virus using Norton removal tool
- How to Completely uninstall AVG products
Once you removed anti – virus from your computer using above removal tools. Please restart your computer in normal mode and Download and reinstall graphics drivers from above links. Hope your computer is working fine without rebooting now. If not continue with step 3.
Step 3: Repair bad sectors in hard disk drive
To run it from Command Prompt, here are the instructions:
- Press Windows key to open the Start Menu
- Select Search
- Type-in CMD
- Right-click on Command Prompt from the search results list
- Right Click and Run as administrator
- In command prompt type as below.
- chkdsk C: /f /r /x
The parameters for this command are:
/f option will attempt to fix any found errors
/r option will locate for bad sectors and recovery any readable information
/x option will force the volume you’re about to check to be dismounted before the utility begins a scan
If the C: drive is in use, type Y to run a scan at your PC’s next restart. If so, exit Command Prompt and restart the computer.
Step 4: Repair or refresh your computer.
If case corrupted operating system files are corrupted, still you face Blue screen unexpected_kernel_mode_trap error in your computer. Hence, please go ahead and repair or reinstall your computer.
Note: As I said above faulty hardware also can cause the issues. Remove or replace if you have reinstalled any hardware’s. Before you proceed with repair or reinstall make you have taken your computer data back into external drive, as reinstall will erase your computer completely.
Hope you were able to fix the issues by following this guide. If you still getting Blue screen unexpected_kernel_mode_trap error than it should related faulty hardware. You may have to contact your computer manufacturer for further support. Comment below or ask more in our Forum