Google Chrome is the most popular browser and most of the Windows users make this as the default browser in their computers. Users prefer this browser for the faster performance as well the new features updated frequently. Even the browser is faster in performance and work effectively, sometimes users face issues like Google Chrome crashing, not opening the webpages and many others. You may also see the issue with Chrome keeps opening new tabs.
RECOMMENDED: Fix this issue in 3 simple steps. Takes only 2 minutes.
1) Download repair utility.
2) Install program and click Scan button.
3) Click Fix Errors button when scan is completed.
4) Restart your computer.
Now, there is an issue observed that Google Chrome keeps opening new tabs when users are browsing the Internet. This issue happens when clicking on the hyperlinks, ads or simply it keeps on opening the tabs and does not allow you to browse websites.
Users reported that the Chrome keeps opening new tabs in the below cases:
- Chrome opens new tabs by clicking on hyperlinks.
- New tab opens automatically while browsing.
- Unwanted ads open in new tabs while browsing.
- Chrome opens new tabs with unwanted websites.
There are different reasons which might cause the issue with Chrome keeps opening new tabs. To fix the issue with Chrome keeps opening new tabs, you can try performing the below resolution steps one by one.
How to fix the issue Chrome keeps opening new tabs?
Quick Note: Before making any changes in your computer, I suggest you to create a System Restore point first, so that you can restore back your computer to previous working state if something goes wrong.
To fix the issue with Chrome keeps opening new tabs, you can follow the below resolution steps and check if the issue gets fixed after each resolution steps.
Step 1: Remove unwanted programs, extensions, ads from Chrome.
Check for the unwanted programs installed in your computer and remove them. Sometimes, without your knowledge, some application will get installed and this may cause severe issues in the computer. So, to remove unwanted programs, follow the below resolution steps.
- Press Windows logo + R keys on keyboard to open RUN window.
- Type appwiz.cpl and hit enter to open the list of installed application.
- Search for the unknown applications listed, double click on them and uninstall the application.
To remove unwanted extensions from Chrome browser, follow the below steps.
- Launch Google Chrome browser.
- In the URL, type chrome://extensions/ and hit enter.
- It will launch all the extensions added in the browser.
- Search for the unwanted or unknown extensions and remove them.
To remove the unwanted ads from Chrome browser, follow the below steps.
- Launch Google Chrome browser.
- Search for Ad-Blocker in Google and select Add to Chrome.
This will let you to stop unwanted ads displaying while browsing and fix the issue with Chrome keeps opening new tabs. If the issue remains, you can proceed with the further resolution steps.
Step 2: Adjust Chrome search settings.
When you click on a link in a website and if Chrome keeps opening new tabs at that time, then there seems to be some issue with the Chrome search settings. Follow the below steps and change the Chrome settings and see if the issue gets fixed.
- Launch Chrome browser, search for something in Google and hit enter.
2. It will display the results. On the top right corner of search results, click on Settings.
3. In the drop-down menu, select the option Search settings.
4. It will open the search settings window, scroll down and find the option Where results open.
5. Uncheck the box that says, Open each selected result in a new browser window.
6. Save the settings, close and re-open the browser and check if the issue gets fixed.
If the issue remains same, you can proceed with the further resolution steps.
Step 3: Reset Google Chrome settings.
If Google Chrome keeps opening new tabs, you can try resetting Google Chrome. To perform the same, follow the below steps.
1. Launch Google Chrome browser, click on the three dots at the top right corner of the screen and click on Settings.
2. In the settings window, scroll down and click on Advanced option.
3. Again, scroll down to the bottom and click on Reset column.
4. This would open a pop window asking you if you want to Reset, so click on Reset to continue.
This will reset the Google Chrome browser settings. Once it is done, close and open the Google Chrome browser and check if the issue with Chrome keeps opening new tabs fixed. If not, you can proceed with the further troubleshooting steps.
Step 4: Reinstall Google Chrome.
If the above resolution steps didn’t work, you can try reinstalling the Chrome browser in the computer. You can perform the below steps to perform the same.
Note: The below steps help you to completely remove Chrome from computer and reinstall it. So, we strongly recommend you to backup all the saved bookmarks, so that you can restore them back once after re installing.
Make sure that the Chrome browser is closed completely. You can try opening the Task Manager and end if there are any Chrome processes running.
- Press Windows logo + R keys on the keyboard to open RUN window, copy and paste the below line and press enter.
2. Now, backup the Default folder to a different location and then delete this folder.
Note: All the saved bookmarks, history, data, cookies, cache and passwords saved in the browser will be saved in this folder, so make sure you are making a backup of this folder.
3. Type appwiz.cpl in the RUN window to open the list of all the installed applications window.
4. Search for Google Chrome and double click on it to uninstall.
5. Reboot the computer now and download Chrome browser from here and follow the on-screen instructions to install it.
Now, check if the browser works fine without opening new tabs while browsing.
Step 5: Remove virus and malware infections.
The issue with Chrome keeps opening new tabs also occurs if the computer is affected with the virus and the malware Trojans. So, it is important to remove all the infections from the computer and make sure that the computer is secured.
If you have purchased any Anti-virus application, perform the full System Scan and remove the detected infections.
You can also perform the clean boot and check if the issue gets fixed. Learn how to perform a Clean Boot on Windows 10 computers.
Hope the above resolution steps helps you to fix the issue with Chrome keeps opening new tabs while browsing. If you find this article helpful, do reply in comments or follow us on Forum.