In this guide learn about Common file extension or filename extension. A file extension or filename extension is a suffix at the end of a filename. It is used to show the type of a computer file. This suggests what program can understand it. For example, MYDOCUMENTS.TXT is a plain text file and may be opened by a text editor. Filename extensions come after the name of the file, and many of them are three letters long. There are thousands of file extensions that can each be associated with one or more applications. See the full list below for a listing of Common file extension or filename extension and their associated programs.
1) Download repair utility.
2) Install program and click Scan button.
3) Click the Fix Errors button when scan is completed.
4) Restart your computer.
How does it work?
This tool will scan and diagnose, then repairs, your PC with patent pending technology that fix your PC issues instantly.
Warning : Before making any changes in your computer, I suggest you to create a System Restore point so that you can restore back your computer to previous working stat if something goes wrong.
Common file extension or filename extension
Some of the more common file extensions are listed below, separated by the types of files the file extensions are associated.
- .doc Microsoft Word Document
- .docx Microsoft Word Open XML Document
- .log Log File
- .msg Outlook Mail Message
- .pages Pages Document
- .rtf Rich Text Format File
- .txt Plain Text File
- .wpd WordPerfect Document
- .wps Microsoft Works Word Processor Document
Data Files Types and Formats
- .csv Comma Separated Values File
- .dat Data File
- .efx eFax Document
- .gbr Gerber File
- .key Keynote Presentation
- .pps PowerPoint Slide Show
- .ppt PowerPoint Presentation
- .pptx PowerPoint Open XML Presentation
- .sdf Standard Data File
- .tax2010 TurboTax 2010 Tax Return
- .vcf vCard File
- .xml XML File
Audio File Types and Formats
- .aif Audio Interchange File Format
- .iff Interchange File Format
- .m3u Media Playlist File
- .m4a MPEG-4 Audio File
- .mid MIDI File
- .mp3 MP3 Audio File
- .mpa MPEG-2 Audio File
- .ra Real Audio File
- .wav WAVE Audio File
- .wma Windows Media Audio File
Video Files Types and Formats
- .3g2 3GPP2 Multimedia File
- .3gp 3GPP Multimedia File
- .asf Advanced Systems Format File
- .asx Microsoft ASF Redirector File
- .avi Audio Video Interleave File
- .flv Flash Video File
- .mov Apple QuickTime Movie
- .mp4 MPEG-4 Video File
- .mpg MPEG Video File
- .rm Real Media File
- .swf Shockwave Flash Movie
- .vob DVD Video Object File
- .wmv Windows Media Video File
3D Image Files Types and Formats
1. 3dm Rhino 3D Model
2. max 3ds Max Scene File
Raster Image Files Types and Formats
- .bmp Bitmap Image File
- .gif Graphical Interchange Format File
- .jpg JPEG Image File
- .png Portable Network Graphic
- .psd Adobe Photoshop Document
- .pspimage PaintShop Pro Image
- .thm Thumbnail Image File
- .tif Tagged Image File
- .yuv YUV Encoded Image File
Vector Image Files Types and Formats
- .ai Adobe Illustrator File
- .drw Drawing File
- .eps Encapsulated PostScript File
- .ps PostScript File
- .svg Scalable Vector Graphics File
Page Layout Files Types and Formats
- .indd Adobe InDesign Document
- .pct Picture File
- .pdf Portable Document Format File
- .qxd QuarkXPress Document
- .qxp QuarkXPress Project File
- .rels Open Office XML Relationships File
Spreadsheet Files Types and Formats
- .xlr Works Spreadsheet
- .xls Excel Spreadsheet
- .xlsx Microsoft Excel Open XML Spreadsheet
Database Files Types and Formats
- .accdb Access 2007 Database File
- .db Database File
- .dbf Database File
- .mdb Microsoft Access Database
- .pdb Program Database
- .sql Structured Query Language Data
Executable Files Types and Formats
- .app Mac OS X Application
- .bat DOS Batch File
- .cgi Common Gateway Interface Script
- .com DOS Command File
- .exe Windows Executable File
- .gadget Windows Gadget
- .jar Java Archive File
- .pif Program Information File
- .vb VBScript File
- .wsf Windows Script File
Game Files Types and Formats
- .gam Saved Game File
- .nes Nintendo (NES) ROM File
- .rom N64 Game ROM File
- .sav Saved Game
CAD Files Types and Formats
- .dwg AutoCAD Drawing Database File
- .dxf Drawing Exchange Format File
GIS Files Types and Formats
- .gpx GPS Exchange File
- .kml Keyhole Markup Language File
Web Files Types and Formats
- .asp Active Server Page
- .cer Internet Security Certificate
- .csr Certificate Signing Request File
- .css Cascading Style Sheet
- .htm Hypertext Markup Language File
- .html Hypertext Markup Language File
- .jsp Java Server Page
- .php Hypertext Preprocessor File
- .rss Rich Site Summary
- .xhtml Extensible Hypertext Markup Language File
Plugin Files Types and Formats
- .8bi Photoshop Plug-in
- .plugin Mac OS X Plug-in
- .xll Excel Add-In File
Font Files Types and Formats
- .fnt Windows Font File
- .fon Generic Font File
- .otf OpenType Font
- .ttf TrueType Font
System Files Types and Formats
- .cab Windows Cabinet File
- .cpl Windows Control Panel Item
- .cur Windows Cursor
- .dll Dynamic Link Library
- .dmp Windows Memory Dump
- .drv Device Driver
- .lnk File Shortcut
- .sys Windows System File
Settings Files Types and Formats
- .cfg Configuration File
- .ini Windows Initialization File
- .keychain Mac OS X Keychain File
- .prf Outlook Profile File
Encoded Files Types and Formats
- .bin Macbinary Encoded File
- .hqx BinHex 4.0 Encoded File
- .mim Multi-Purpose Internet Mail Message File
- .uue Uuencoded File
Compressed Files Types and Formats
- .7z 7-Zip Compressed File
- .deb Debian Software Package
- .gz Gnu Zipped Archive
- .pkg Mac OS X Installer Package
- .rar WinRAR Compressed Archive
- .rpm Red Hat Package Manager File
- .sit StuffIt Archive
- .sitx StuffIt X Archive
- .tar.gz Tarball File
- .zip Zipped File
- .zipx Extended Zip File
Disk Image Files Types and Formats
- .dmg Mac OS X Disk Image
- .iso Disc Image File
- .toast Toast Disc Image
- .vcd Virtual CD
Developer Files Types and Formats
- .c C/C++ Source Code File
- .class Java Class File
- .cpp C++ Source Code File
- .cs Visual C# Source Code File
- .dtd Document Type Definition File
- .fla Adobe Flash Animation
- .java Java Source Code File
- .m Objective-C Implementation File
- .pl Perl Script
- .py Python Script
Backup Files Types and Formats
- .bak Backup File
- .gho Norton Ghost Backup File
- .ori Original File
- .tmp Temporary File
Misc Files Types and Formats
- .dbx Outlook Express E-mail Folder
- .msi Windows Installer Package
- .part Partially Downloaded File
- .torrent BitTorrent File
Some of the popular Image File Extensions Type used for web
.GIF (Graphic Interchange Format) files use a maximum of 256 colors, and are best for displaying noncontinuous-tone images or those with large areas of flat colors, such as navigation bars, buttons, icons, logos, or other images with uniform colors and tones.
.JPEG (Joint Photographic Experts Group) file format is the superior format for photographic or continuous-tone images, because JPEG files can contain millions of colors. As the quality of a JPEG file increases, so does the file size and the file download time. You can often strike a good balance between the quality of the image and the file size by compressing a JPEG file.
.PNG (Portable Network Group) file format is a patent-free replacement for GIFs that includes support for indexed-color, grayscale, and true-color images, and alpha channel support for transparency. PNG is the native file format of Macromedia Fireworks MX. PNG files retain all the original layer, vector, color, and effects information (such as drop shadows), and all elements are fully editable at all times. Files must have the .png file extension to be recognized as PNG files by Macromedia Dreamweaver MX.
.TIF, .TIFF Tagged Image File Format. Used to exchange documents between different applications and platforms. ….
.pbm Portable Bitmap file format. A lowest common denominator monochrome file format originally designed to make it reasonable to mail bitmaps between different types of machines. Now it serves as the common language of a large family of bitmap conversion filters.
.pcd Kodak Photo CD file format. Used to store scanned photos. Each .pcd file contains a number of scans of the same image at different resolutions.
.pct Picture format. Popular Macintosh graphics format used with page layout and graphics applications for transferring documents between applications. See .pic, .pict.
.pcx ZSoft IBM PC Paintbrush file format. One of the oldest bitmapped formats popularized by MS-DOS paint programs that first appeared in the early 1980’s.
.pdf Portable Document File format. Adobe document reader that allows portability. Often used on the Web for better control of page layout.
.pds Planetary Data System format. Created by the Planetary Branch of NASA to store solar, lunar, and planetary data collected both on Earth and by spacecraft.
.pic, .pict Picture file format. This format is popular with many image programs, including Lotus PIC Graphics, Micrografx Draw!, Pegasus Imaging Corporation, and Video Show.
.psd Native bitmap file format of the Adobe Photoshop graphical editing application.
.ps, .psid PostScript file format.
.psp Paint Shop Pro image file.
.pub Native file format of Microsoft Publisher, a program that aids in creating publishing materials.
.pict Picture file format. Popular Macintosh graphics format used with page layout and graphics applications for transferring documents between applications.
.pif Program Information File format. Stores additional information about executables that are foreign to the running multitasking system such as ressource usage, keyboard and mouse virtualization and hotkeys.
.pit Macintosh PackIt format. Archives that were pioneers in Macintosh file compression and archiving but today are obsolete.
.pnt MacPaint format. Similar to PC paint applications.
As long as the program has been designed to identify and open a program with a longer file extension, it can be longer than four characters. However, to keep the overall file name short, most programs do not exceed four characters.