Why computer take long time to boot into Windows?
This most common question often asked by Windows users. I am not sure how many those able to get rid of computer startup slow issue. However in this guide let me show you how to disable startup programs which is primary cause for computer slow booting issue.
RECOMMENDED: Fix this issue in 3 simple steps. Takes only 2 minutes.
1) Download repair utility.
2) Install program and click Scan button.
3) Click Fix Errors button when scan is completed.
4) Restart your computer.
What is startup and how it works?
Windows startup folder or Windows startup manager allow applications or process to run automatically once the computer is powered on. All startup applications are kept in the startup folder. You might noticed this “computer is powered on and you are able to see desktop still computer does not respond when you move mouse and keyboard” This is because the startup items are trying to load once the computer is booted into desktop. Due to this computer may take long time to boot into Windows. This effect on computer boot time.
How to disable startup items to get rid of slow booting issue?
Yes, this is good idea to disable startup items from Windows startup folder. This can instantly make your computer boot quickly without loading applications on Windows startup. To do that follow below steps.
Method 1: From Task manager > Startup option.
- Open Task Manager – Right-click the Taskbar and click on Task Manager.
- Click on Startup Tab
- Here you see the application list that are asked to run automatically on Windows startup. You can disable them whichever is not required.
Note: suggest you to remove all other start up applications except anti-virus software, graphics drives, audio drivers, Intel drivers. Learn more about Task Manager.
4 .Right click on the applications on startup tab, click on Disable to prevent it loading on computer startup.
Note: If you don’t what is that application or process, right click on the process select Search Online to know more about the process, and decide if you need or not. However I suggest you can remove all other apps except drivers and anti-virus.
Method 2: Using sysinternals tool autoruns.exe
This utility, which has the most comprehensive knowledge of auto-starting locations of any startup monitor, shows you what programs are configured to run during system bootup or login, and when you start various built-in Windows applications like Internet Explorer, Explorer and media players. These programs and drivers include ones in your startup folder, Run, RunOnce, and other Registry keys. Autoruns reports Explorer shell extensions, toolbars, browser helper objects, Winlogon notifications, auto-start services, and much more. Autoruns goes way beyond other autostart utilities. Learn more about autoruns.exe and download it.
- After downloading Download Autoruns and Autorunsc zip fie. Right click and extract it.
- Right click and open autoruns.exe, choose Run as administrator.
- Click on Logon menu to see hidden startup items. Uncheck the box to disable applications from startup.
That’s it, reboot the computer to check if your computer is booting quicker than earlier.
How to add applications to Windows startup.
To add files, applications into Windows startup
- Press Windows + R key to bring up Run command
- Type shell:startup and click on enter. ( Default location of startup folder : %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup )
- Once you open startup folder. Simple drag and drop applications or files into the startup folder, they will automatically open when computer boots up.
Hope this guide helped you to disable startup items safely or manager startup applications in Windows 10. Comment your experience below.