Performing disk clean up on Windows 10 computers is one of the best way to improve computer performance. Disk cleanup has several options where it cleans unwanted junk files from your computer. The Windows inbuilt disk cleanup utility software can clean junk files related with below programs. In this guide we discuss about Windows update Cleanup and Fix Disk cleanup stuck on Windows update cleanup on Windows 10. Learn more about Disk Cleanup.
- Windows Update Cleanup
- Windows Defender Antivirus
- Downloaded Program Files
- Temporary Internet Files
- Windows Error Reporting Files
- DirectX Shader Cache
- Delivery Optimization Files
- Device Driver packages
- Recycle Bin:
- Temporary Files
It usually takes few moment to complete the disk clean up task. However it depends on the files and it may take more time when the files are using by other programs. If this is the case you may have to skip the disk cleanup and re-initiate it again. Mostly Disk cleanup stuck on Windows update cleanup. When Disk cleanup unable to access Windows update cleanup files from all paths in computer where Windows created temporary files. The Windows update Cleanup process takes more time than expected it is due to corrupted files and folder permissions, files are using by multiple programs at a time, background Windows updates services, faulty update services.
How to Fix Disk cleanup stuck on Windows update cleanup
Before you perform, troubleshoot make sure, you logged in to Administrator account. If the Windows update troubleshooter does not work. Perform clean boot, reboot the computer and try again.
Step 1: Run Windows update troubleshooter.
- On start menu search for troubleshoot. Click on troubleshoot.
- Find Windows update. Click on Run the troubleshooter. Follow on screen instructions.
Note: You can also download Windows update troubleshooter from Windows Official website here.
Step 2: Reset Windows update components.
To reset Windows Update components, follow the below resolution steps.
- Navigate the path: C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download. (assuming Windows installed in C drive, if not navigate the root path)
- Select all files inside the SoftwareDistribution and delete them permanently.
- Next, Empty the Recycle Bin and try to install updated now.
- Run this batch script, which can help you in fixing various kinds of issues related to Windows Update. This script can be used in all Windows versions. Batch File to Reset Windows Update.
Step 3: Run DISM tool
The Deployment Image Servicing and Management Tool is a tool that comes built-in with Windows and can be used to service a Windows Image. It often fixes many issues with various aspects of Windows and can therefore help you with this as well. Note that this is a very powerful tool and making a mistake when you are running it can cause issues – so be careful.
Follow the below steps to run the DISM tool in your computer.
- Press Windows logo, in the search bar, type cmd. Command Prompt option will appear. Right click on it and select the option Run as Administrator.
- When you’re inside the Command Prompt, type in the following commands, and press Enter on your keyboard after each command, in order to execute it. Make sure you wait for the first command to finish running before you start with the second one.
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
3. Now, wait for the second command to finish, and close the Command Prompt by either clicking the X in the corner, or by typing in exit and pressing.
Once it is done, reboot your computer and try installing the Windows Updates. Hopefully, the updates will install fine this time without any errors.
Step 4: Refresh or Reset Windows 10.
That is it! Have more questions, comment below, we will help you further. For further support, leave comments or ask more on Forum.