Here is the remedy to resolve Windows Update error 0x80240034 in 2 simple steps. The error usually occurs when you try to install the Cumulative Update KB4048955 and also while installing the Windows 10 insider preview update.
In this guide, we will explain you how to fix Windows Update error 0x80240034 on Windows 10 computers with simple and easy recommended steps.
Error 0X80240034 occurs when you try to install Windows updates in Windows 10 computers. The issue with the Windows Update error 0x80240034 occurs mostly due to the following reasons.
- Broken store update or an update package under Windows.
- Frequent Internet dropping or fluctuations.
- Damaged Windows Update Components.
If you are facing the issue with Windows Update error 0x80240034 on your computer, this guide helps you to fix the error and let the updates install properly.
How to fix Windows Update error 0x80240034?
Quick Note: Further steps might involve registry manipulation. Making mistakes while manipulating registry could affect your system adversely. So, be careful while editing registry entries and create a System Restore point first.
Reset Windows update components:
Follow the below steps to reset the Windows Update components.
- Open Command Prompt with admin permission.
2. Type the following commands one by one and press enter.
net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
3. Rename the SoftwareDistribution folder and Catroot2 folder using the below commands.
ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
4. Once it is done, restart the computer and try installing the Windows updates. If the same issue occurs again, proceed with the further troubleshooting steps.
Modify System Registry to fix error 0x80240034:
You can try deleting few keys in the System Registry in order to fix the issue with update error 0x80240034. To do that, refer the below steps.
Quick Note: Before making any changes in the System Registry, we recommend you to perform registry backup.
- Search for regedit in the search bar, right click on it and click on Run as Administrator to open the Registry Editor.
2. Navigate to the below location.
3. Delete the entries WUServer and WIStatusServer in the right pane if available.
4. Then restart the computer and try installing the updates. Windows updates should install fine this time without any error.
By following the above troubleshooting steps, you can fix the issue with Windows Update error 0x80240034 yourself. If the issue still persists even after all the above troubleshooting steps, then it is required to proceed with the System Reset or Re installation of the Operating System. For further support, leave comments or ask more on Forum.
Fix Windows Update error 0x800706ba on Windows 10.
How to fix Windows update error 0x80080005?
Fix Windows 10 update error 0xe0000003.
How to fix Windows 10 update error 0x80D02002?
Fix Windows Update error 0xc1900130 on Windows 10.