Extensions in Chrome make the user more convenient to explore new things very easily. There are different extensions that you can add to the Chrome. You can download the extensions from Chrome Web Store. While using the Chrome browser, several users faced the issue with extensions stopped working.
RECOMMENDED: Fix this issue in 3 simple steps. Takes only 2 minutes.
1) Download repair utility.
2) Install program and click Scan button.
3) Click Fix Errors button when scan is completed.
4) Restart your computer.
Installed extensions become unresponsive when you try to click on it. It also results with the Chrome not responding, Chrome stopped working error messages. In order to make sure what factors causing the issue and get the resolution, we have replicated the issue on several computers.
Problems or questions? Save time and get personal support. Ask your question!
After a lot of research, observed several factors that may cause this issue and found the proper resolution.
What factors causing Chrome extensions stopped working issue?
After collecting the reports from different computers, the factors causing the issues are as follows:
- Outdated browser or Windows version.
- Faulty Chrome user profile.
- Multiple processes running in the background.
- Conflict in Chrome extensions.
- Malware infections.
If you are facing the issue with Google Chrome Extensions on your computer and trying to fix it, this guide helps you to resolve the issue. As per our research, we have listed all the possible troubleshooting steps to fix this issue. We suggest you try to perform the below troubleshooting steps in order and check if the extensions start working fine.
How to fix Chrome extensions stopped working error on Windows?
Follow the below resolution steps one by one in order and check if the issue gets fix. If the issue remains after each step, you can continue with the further resolution steps.
Quick Note: Before proceeding with the further troubleshooting steps, we suggest you to create a System Restore point. If something goes wrong during the troubleshooting, you can restore your computer back to previous working state.
End Google Chrome processes in Task Manager:
For suppose, if there are multiple chrome processes running in the background process, it may not work properly. In this case, you can try ending or killing the process from Task Manager and check if it works fine.
Refer the below steps to perform the same.
- Right click on Taskbar and select the option Task Manager.
2. Switch to Details tab, search for Chrome.exe process. Right click on it and select the option End process tree.
3. You will see the below pop up. Click on End process tree.
Repeat the same process till all the Chrome files are closed from Task Manager. After that, check if the Google Chrome extensions working fine. If the issue remains, you can proceed with the further troubleshooting steps.
Check with individual extension:
Sometimes, only a single extension may cause conflicts and make the Chrome browser not to work properly. In this case, it is important to identify which particular extension is causing the issue. To identify that, we can try disabling all the extensions and then try to enable each extension and check which one causes the issue.
Refer the below steps to perform the required troubleshooting steps.
- Launch Google Chrome. Click on three dots at the top right corner. Click on More tools and then select Extensions. You can also type chrome://extensions/ in the place of URL to open the extensions directly.
2. Now, disable all the extensions on the Chrome browser. You can toggle the switch to disable it.
3. Close and open Chrome browser. After that, try to enable each extension. Close and reopen the browser and see if that works fine.
4. By doing this, you can identify which extension is creating the issue. You can remove that particular extension and check if the Chrome works fine.
After removing the faulty extension, relaunch the browser and see if everything works fine. If the error remains, you can continue with the further resolution steps.
Update Google Chrome browser:
Outdated version of browser also causes these kinds of issues. Therefore, we recommend you to update the browser to the latest version and check if everything comes back to normal. Refer the below steps to update Google Chrome browser on your computer.
- Launch Chrome browser. Click on three dots button at the top right corner. Click on Help and then select About Google Chrome.
2. Chrome will start checking for the updates automatically.
3. If found any, it will install them and displays the message as below.
Now, close and reopen the browser and check if the issue with Chrome extensions stopped working gets fix. In case, if the issue remains, you can continue with the further troubleshooting steps.
Disable third-party Anti-Virus or Firewall:
It is observed that, faulty or corrupted Anti-Virus program also cause the Chrome extensions stopped working issue. Therefore, you can try disabling the Anti-Virus program installed in the computer and check if the browser works fine.
If the extensions works fine after disabling the Anti-Virus program, you can try reinstalling the Anti-Virus software and try updating it. Refer the below steps to disable the Anti-Virus program on your computer.
If the issue still remains even after performing the above steps, you can try reinstalling the Google Chrome browser completely and check if that helps. You can refer further steps to perform the required tasks.
Reinstall Google Chrome browser to fix extensions issue:
If none of the above troubleshooting steps helps, you can try reinstalling the browser by completely removing the Chrome profile settings. Refer the below steps to perform the same.
- Press Windows logo + R keys on the keyboard to open RUN window. Copy and paste the below line and hit enter.
2. Now, backup the Default folder to a different location and then delete this folder.
Note: All the saved bookmarks, history, data, cookies, cache and passwords saved in the browser will be saved in this folder, so make sure you are making a backup of this folder.
3. Type appwiz.cpl in the RUN window to open the list of the entire installed applications window.
4. Search for Google Chrome and double click on it to Uninstall.
Reboot the computer now and download Chrome browser from here and follow the on-screen instructions to install it.
If you have bookmarks saved in the previous version, you can replace the Default folder with the backup file. It will restore your Bookmarks on Chrome browser.
Install Windows Updates:
In case, if the above troubleshooting steps did not help, you can try updating the computer to the latest version using the Windows Updates feature. Refer below steps to install Windows Updates on your computer.
- Press Windows logo + I keys on your keyboard to open Settings window. Next, click on Update & Security.
2. Now, click on Check for updates.
Computer will start checking for the updates. If found any, it will download and install automatically. After that, reboot your computer and check if the issue with Chrome extensions stopped working gets fix. In case, if the issue remains, you can try performing the virus scan on your computer to remove the virus infections.
Remove virus and malware infections:
The issue with chrome extensions stopped working also occurs if the computer is affected with the virus and the malware Trojans. Therefore, it is important to remove all the infections from the computer and make sure that the computer is secured.
If you have purchased any Anti-virus application, perform the full System Scan and remove the detected infections.
You can also download the Malwarebytes from the below link and perform the full system scan. Hope this helps.
I hope that the above troubleshooting steps help you to fix the issue with Chrome extensions stopped working. After that, you can start using the Chrome browser without any issues. If you need any further help, do comments below. You can also ask more on our Forum.