This guide is about windows 10 desktop black screen or blank screen issue. Most of the Windows 10 users reported that black screen issue started after the recent Windows 10 update. Due to faulty updates, user profile will not load properly as it is affected. Probably by uninstalling recent Windows updates and repairing user profiles may fix the black screen issue. Also we can directly restore your PC to the previous working state to resolve the problem
RECOMMENDED: Fix this issue in 3 simple steps. Takes only 2 minutes.
1) Download repair utility.
2) Install program and click Scan button.
3) Click Fix Errors button when scan is completed.
4) Restart your computer.
There are few other factors that can probably cause desktop black screen issue. Further, this guide will explain the causes and resolutions steps in detail.
Problems or questions? Save time and get personal support. Ask your question!
- Connection problem between monitor and computer
- Corrupted user profile
- Third party anti-virus software’s
- Recently installed Windows updates
- Faulty display drivers and adapters
- Corrupted system files and services
When do you get black screen or blank screen issue?
- Login screen become completely black screen or blank screen. Sometime password login screen does not appear.
- After entering the password on login screen Windows loads but you may don’t see icons, taskbar, start menu, desktop icons, desktop background. It looks completely blank screen or black screen.
In this scenario let us split the black screen issue into two parts as Black screen issue before login and after login. Follow below resolutions steps to fix both issues.
How to fix desktop black screen or blank screen issue
Quick Note: Before proceeding with the troubleshooting steps, we suggest you to create a System Restore point first. In case, if something goes wrong during the troubleshooting, you can restore the computer back to previously working state.
Check monitor and PC connection
If you see black screen or blank screen on log in screen. I just want you check your computer monitor connection to make sure the cables are connected properly. Unplug VGA or HDMI cables that connected to your computer monitor re connect them properly.
Is your PC sending data to monitor screen?
- Your monitor display should be glowing. Monitor light keep on blinking if it is not getting data from PC.
- Press CTRL + ALT + DEL keys together, it should open task manager Window.
- Press Caps Lock & Num Lock keys on your keyboard. Light should turn on when you press the keys.
Unplug externally connected devices
Do you have any devices connected externally to your computer? Such as portable hard disk, flash driver etc. I suggest you to unplug. Windows may take more time to boot to desktop, sometimes it does not boot properly. It can stuck at black screen or blank screen
Reboot in Safe mode
We have just unplugged all external device to allow Windows load smoothly. Now let us go ahead and reboot the computer in safe mode to troubleshoot Windows 10 desktop black screen or blank screen issue. Rebooting PC in safe mode enables only basic drivers and limited services. Safe mode also can be called as troubleshooting mode. Refer this guide to reboot your PC in safe mode.
Uninstall / Disable third party anti-virus software
You have reinstall or temporarily disable your anti-virus software. Windows take more time to load also it can stuck on black screen or blank screen if the Anti-virus software corrupted. Refer below links further.
- How to temporarily disable any antivirus firewall
- Remove-reinstall Norton anti-virus using Norton removal tool
- Completely uninstall AVG products
- Disable Windows Defender in Windows 8/10
- Turn Windows Defender on or off in Windows 8
- Turn Windows Defender on or off in Windows 7
Reinstall graphics drivers
In safe mode graphics drivers will be disabled, you can just get rid of graphics drivers. You can reinstall it later when you reboot the computer in normal. To do that
- Press Windows + R key at same time.
- Type as devmgmt.msc in run command
- Expand Display adapters, Right click on the graphics driver , click on Uninstall device
- Check Delete the driver software for this device, click Uninstall.
Most of the time display issues occurs due faulty graphics adapters and drivers. Visit your computer manufacture to download and reinstall graphics drivers. Download drivers from below links.
- Hp Driver Website
- IBM Driver Website
- Dell Driver Website
- Acer Driver Website
- Lenovo Driver Website
- Toshiba Driver Website
- Gateway eMachines
- Sony PC Drivers
- Microsoft Drivers update
- Microsoft Surface Support
- Gigabyte Drivers
- MSI drivers and support
- Realtek Drivers and support
- Intel Drivers & Softwares
- Nvidia Graphics Drivers
- AMD Drivers and Support
Perform clean boot
Third party start-up services can block Windows default services, mainly explorer.exe as result you see desktop black screen or blank screen. Learn How to perform clean boot in Windows 10.
Restore Your PC
We have discussed earlier in this topic, recently installed Windows updates, graphics drivers updates. As said removing bad updates is good idea or we can just restore your PC to previous working state. Refer How to restore Restore your PC.
Create New User Profile.
A user profile is a visual display of personal data associated with a specific user, or a customized desktop environment. It includes desktop, Documents, Pictures, Contacts, Videos, Downloads folders and more. Also Desktop background, Desktop Wallpaper settings, Screen savers other desktop user customization taken care by user profile. If this user profile corrupted, Windows 10 background goes black and desktop does not load after login. Refer this guide to new create user account.
Refresh / Reinstall Windows 10
System Restore should fix Windows 10 black screen or blank screen issue as it bring back your PC settings. Windows 10 refresh should fix the black screen or blank screen issue. Backup your data into external drive and try refresh or reinstalling Windows 10.
- Refresh Windows 10 without erasing data.
- Clean reset Windows 10
- Clean install Windows 10 from USB bootable media.