This BSOD error DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE was posted in Microsoft Community.
You might noticed that your computer shutting down or restarting automatically and shows blue screen error as DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE. Mainly this issue caused by faulty drivers. When you see the blue screen error carefully it also says “The problem seems to be caused by the following file: ntoskrnl.exe”. This guide will show you how to figure out the exact cause DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE blue screen error in Windows and troubleshoot ntoskrnl.exe BSOD error.
RECOMMENDED: Fix this issue in 3 simple steps. Takes only 2 minutes.
1) Download repair utility.
2) Install program and click Scan button.
3) Click Fix Errors button when scan is completed.
4) Restart your computer.
What is ntoskrnl.exe
After few minutes of research online we found ntoskrnl.exe stands for NT Operating system kernel. It is one of the crucial Windows operating system files. It actually manages hardware drivers, memory management, cache manager and Kernel. If ntoskrnl.exe is faulty, your computer may crash unexpectedly. Quickly check this to get more knowledge about computer crash Simplified smart ways to fix Windows keeps crashing issue.
Problems or questions? Save time and get personal support. Ask your question!
Information : Bluescreenview is widely used software to view mini-dump files that created by Windows during BSOD crash.
What is causing DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE BSOD error
As the below blue screen error says the problem seems to be caused by the following file: ntoskrnl.exe. Now we know what ntoskrnl.exe in Windows operating system. I can say confidently below are the possible causes for DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE BSOD error.
- Faulty drivers and software’s
- Incorrect antivirus / Firewall settings or faulty anti-virus
- Defect RAM hardware.
- Corrupted Windows system files and services.
- Incompatible hardware’s and Software’s.
Quick Fix DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE BSOD error
The DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE bug check has a value of 0x0000009F. This bug check indicates that the driver is in an inconsistent or invalid power state. To determine the device and driver at fault, run “!analyze -v” in the Debugging Tools for Windows. Once identified, try updating drivers or rolling back the driver. Depending on the vendor, the driver is obtained from Windows Update or the OEM web site. If the issue persists with updated drivers, there may be an issue with the device. However follow below alternative steps further.
We learn by experience since we wrote lot about blue screen and computer crash errors. You can refer below links to get more knowledge about different type of BSOD errors
- system_service_exception ataport.sys Blue screen error
- BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER Blue Screen Error
- Blue screen unexpected_kernel_mode_trap
- How to fix ndis.sys blue screen of death error in Windows 10
- Fix Netwtw04.sys blue screen of death error in Windows 10
- Fix System service exception fltmgr.sys blue screen error
- Fix Blue Screen Error or Blue Screen of Death BSOD
- How to fix WDF_VIOLATION Blue Screen Error on Windows 10?
- How to fix tcpip.sys Blue Screen Error on Windows 10
- SYSTEM_PTE_MISUSE Blue Screen error on Windows 10
- Fix ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY Blue Screen error
- Fix ntkrnlmp.exe blue screen error on Windows 10
- Fix Win32kbase.sys blue screen error on Windows 10
- Blue screen error Critical Process Died
- bad system config info blue screen error
How to Fix DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE BSOD error
Note: Before start performing below resolutions steps disconnect all external devices expect mouse and keyboard, Disable antivirus software, Create system restore point, perform clean boot. And reboot your computer in safe mode to perform below resolutions steps.
Disable Anti-virus / Firewall software’s
- How to temporarily disable any antivirus firewall
- Remove-reinstall Norton anti-virus using Norton removal tool
- Completely uninstall AVG products
- Disable Windows Defender in Windows 8/10
- Turn Windows Defender on or off in Windows 8
- Turn Windows Defender on or off in Windows 7
Step 1: Restore your PC to previous working state
If you have noticed DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE BSOD error after the recent hardware or software changes, just remove the hardware and test the same with known good computer to make sure it is not bad. Also restore your PC to the previous working condition to make sure the recent software and drivers updates are not causing ntoskrnl.exe BSOD error in Windows 10 PC.
Step 2: Troubleshoot Memory errors
Usually Faulty memory causes computer freezing, applications crashing, unexpected blue screen errors. Hence check the memory first to make sure it is not causing ntoskrnl.exe BSOD error. To do that.
Type control panel from start search and open Control panel app > click Administrative Tools > click Windows Memory Diagnostic and click on “Restart now and check for problems” to start testing memory. You may have to follow on screen instructions to complete memory test.
Check memory test result once completed
- Memory test results can be viewed in event viewer. Navigate to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > and open Event Viewer.
- Expand the Windows Logs > Click on System > open MemoryDiagnostics-Results
- If the result says “The Windows memory diagnostics tested that computer’ memory and detected no errors” then the memory is not culprit. Move on to next step.
Step 3: Download Reinstall all drivers.
Driver reinstallation can remove corrupted incomputable drivers from your computer and replace them with the latest working one. There are chances that new driver itself can cause the DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE BSOD error as they might not be compatible with the current operating system. In this case we can roll back drivers to make it work.
Also you can manually download driver from your computer manufactures website. Few major PC manufactures listed below for your reference.
Download drivers from manufactures website
- Hp Driver Website
- IBM Driver Website
- Dell Driver Website
- Acer Driver Website
- Lenovo Driver Website
- Toshiba Driver Website
- Gateway eMachines
- Sony PC Drivers
- Microsoft Drivers update
- Microsoft Surface Support
- Gigabyte Drivers
- MSI drivers and support
- Realtek Drivers and support
- Intel Drivers & Softwares
- Nvidia Graphics Drivers
- AMD Drivers and Support
Step 4: Refresh / Reinstall Windows 10
We can reinstall operating system to replace corrupted system files. This can help to resolve ntoskrnl.exe BSOD error. Post your comments below for further help.
- Refresh Windows 10 without erasing data.
- Clean reset Windows 10
- Clean install Windows 10 from USB bootable media.
That’s it 🙂