Microsoft Outlook is the email client used by most of the Windows users. However, users are quite familiar with the send/receive errors. Recently, users encountered an issue with Outlook error 0x80042109. When you encounter on your computer, you will not be able to send or receive emails in the Outlook.
RECOMMENDED: Fix this issue in 3 simple steps. Takes only 2 minutes.
1) Download repair utility.
2) Install program and click Scan button.
3) Click Fix Errors button when scan is completed.
4) Restart your computer.
The error message appears as
Error 0x80042109: Outlook is unable to connect to your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).
What factors causing the Outlook error 0x80042109?
Before proceeding with the troubleshooting, it is important to know what factors causing the Outlook errors. If we are aware of that, there are chances that we can avoid such issues to occur in future. In this case, the factors causing the Outlook send/receive error 0x80042109 are:
- Incorrect email configuration settings.
- Interference of Third-party Anti-Virus.
- Add-in interference.
If you are facing the issue with Outlook send/receive error 0x80042109 on your computer, this guide helps you to fix the error and let the Outlook work properly.
How to fix Outlook send/receive error 0x80042109?
Follow the below resolution steps one by one to fix the Outlook error and check if the Outlook works fine after each step. If the issue remains, you can proceed with the further resolution steps.
Change email configuration settings:
When you receive a send receive error on Outlook, first you need to check all the email configuration settings are correct. Refer the below steps to check your Outlook email settings.
- Press Windows logo + R keys on your keyboard to open RUN window. Type CONTROL and hit enter to open the Control Panel.
2. Search and locate Mail. Click on it to open.
3. On the Mail Setup window, click on E-mail Accounts.
4. In the Account settings window, select the email account which is not working and then click on Change button. Also, you can double click on the email account to open its settings.
5. On the Change Account screen, click on More Settings.
6. It will open the Internet E-mail Settings. Go to Outgoing Server tab and make sure the option My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication is checked.
7. Now, switch to Connection tab and make sure that the option Connect using my local area network (LAN) is selected.
8. After that, move to Advanced tab. Set the Incoming Server (IMAP) to 110 and Outgoing Server (SMTP) to 587. Change the encryption type of the Outgoing Server to TLS. Click on OK to save the changes.
Once all the above settings are done, try to send the email or try performing the send/receive. Outlook should work fine this time without the error 0x80042109. If the error remains, you can proceed with the further resolution steps.
Disable or Uninstall Anti-Virus program:
In case, if the issue remains with the correct email configuration settings, there are chances that the third-party Firewall or the Anti-Virus causing the issue. If you are using any free Anti-Virus program on your computer, we suggest you try removing them. If there is a registered security program, you can try disabling or uninstalling them and check if the Outlook works fine.
Refer the below links to perform the required tasks.
If the Outlook starts working fine after disabling the Anti-Virus program, you can try re-installing the Anti-Virus program by downloading the setup file from the manufacturer website.
Disable Outlook Add-Ins to fix Outlook error 0x80042109:
Add-Ins are added to the Microsoft Outlook for better performance with unique features. In some cases, the corrupted or the damaged Add-In may cause the send/receive error on Outlook. In such cases, we suggest you try disabling the Add-In and check if the Outlook works fine.
Refer the below steps to perform the required troubleshooting steps.
- Press Windows logo + R keys on your keyboard to open RUN window. Type Outlook /safe and hit enter. It will launch Outlook in Safe Mode.
2. Click on File tab at the top and click on the Options.
3. On the Outlook Options screen, click on Add-Ins. Then select COM Add-Ins from the Manage option and click on Go.
4. Here you need to uncheck each Add-In and check if the Outlook send/receive works fine. You need to repeat this by testing each Add-In. By doing this, you can identify the affected Add-In and remove it.
This should fix the issue with Outlook send/receive error.
I hope that the above troubleshooting steps helps you to fix the Outlook send/receive error 0x80042109 on your computer. It allows you to send or receive the emails without any errors. If you have any questions, do comment below. You can also ask more on our Forum.