Microsoft has recently released cumulative updates on April 14th 2020 for Windows 10 1903, 1909 and 1809 versions. They are KB4549951 for version 1903 and 1909 and KB4549949 is for version 1809. These update can be download through Windows update, Media Creation Tool and Update Assistant. However this guide will help you to fix Windows 10 update error 0xe0000003 as Windows 10 user was noticed that above updates were failed to install error 0xe0000003. Also this topic was posted in Microsoft Community as Windows 10 updates fail 0xe0000003.
You may see error as show in the image while trying to install update from check for update method. This guide will explain you the actual tricks to fix the Windows 10 update error 0xe0000003. Create system restore points before making changes in your computer.
Cause of Windows 10 update error 0xe0000003
Due to below possible reasons Windows 10 fails to install updates with error 0xe0000003 they are:
- Incorrect Windows update settings.
- Faulty third party applications.
- Corrupted or incorrect Antivirus settings.
- Missing system files and corrupt system files permissions.
How to fix Windows 10 update error 0xe0000003
Optimize your computer by following below resolutions steps and make it ready for Windows update installation.
Step 1: Clean Boot your PC
By performing clean boot you can remove unwanted and corrupted startup application which might interrupting Windows to updates as a result you see Windows 10 update error 0xe0000003. Refer this guide to perform clean boot your computer.
Step 2: Reset Windows update settings
Here is the best way to reset Windows update components. Follow below steps to reset Windows 10 update settings
- Navigate the path: C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download
- Just rename the SoftwareDistrubution folder
- Run this script which resets Windows update components Batch File to Reset Windows Update.
Step 3: Disable or Uninstall Anti-Virus Software.
It is not recommended to have more than one antivirus software. However it is recommended to disable or uninstall the antivirus software temporarily just to check it is not casing Windows 10 update error 0xe0000003. Refer below links further.
- How to temporarily disable any antivirus firewall
- Remove-reinstall Norton anti-virus using Norton removal tool
- Completely uninstall AVG products
- Disable Windows Defender in Windows 8/10
- Turn Windows Defender on or off in Windows 8
- Turn Windows Defender on or off in Windows 7
Step 4: Manually download and install updates
It is good idea to install update manually if they failed to install in normal way. To do that Click on Start button, and then select Settings > Change PC settings > Update and recovery > Windows Update > View your update history. Make a list of failed updates. Visit Microsoft Update Catalog website search for KB, download and install them this should resolve the Windows 10 update error 0xe0000003.
Step 5: Refresh Windows 10
As a final option we can repair system files and reset Windows permission. To do that you can refresh your computer with out erasing the data. Refer below guides further.
- Refresh Windows 10 without erasing data.
- Clean reset Windows 10
- Clean install Windows 10 from USB bootable media.
Hope finally the Windows refresh or reinstall had help you to fix Windows 10 update error 0xe0000003 as it posted in Microsoft community as Windows installed fix the error 0xe0000003 . Please let us know in comments below.