Windows update error 0x8007007E was originally posted and discussed on Microsoft Community forum. As Windows users reported getting error 0x8007007E while trying to upgrade to Windows 10 or while trying to install updates. It seems something is blocking in your computer to update or upgrade Windows. Most probably incorrect anti-virus configuration and faulty start up services cause the error 0x8007007E.
You may see below errors when you try to upgrade or update Windows 10.
- Something went wrong error 0x8007007E
- Some updates were not installed error 0x8007007E
Fix Windows Update error 0x8007007E
Quick note: Before making any changes in your computer, I suggest you to create a System Restore point, so that you can restore back your computer to previous working state if something goes wrong.
Step 1 – Reset Windows updates components
To reset Windows Update components, follow the below resolution steps.
- Navigate the path: C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download. (assuming Windows installed in C drive, if not navigate the root path)
- Select all files inside the SoftwareDistribution and delete them permanently.
- Next, Empty the Recycle Bin and try to install updated now.
- Run this batch script, which can help you in fixing various kinds of issues related to Windows Update. This script can be used in all Windows versions. Batch File to Reset Windows Update.
Step 2 – Disable or Uninstall Anti-Virus Software.
Follow below links to disable, uninstall or reinstall antivirus software from your computer
- How to temporarily disable any antivirus firewall
- Remove-reinstall Norton anti-virus using Norton removal tool
- Completely uninstall AVG products
- Disable Windows Defender in Windows 8/10
- Turn Windows Defender on or off in Windows 8
- Turn Windows Defender on or off in Windows 7
Step 3 – Perform Clean Boot
Clean boot helps to remove unwanted, corrupted services and startup items. If startup items are causing the issues, this should fix Windows Update error 0x8007007E. To do that follow this guide How to perform clean boot in Windows 10.
Step 4 – Repair errors or bad sectors in hard disk drive.
CHKDSK is a Windows utility that can check the integrity of your hard disk and can fix various file system errors. To run it from Command Prompt, here are the instructions:
- Press Windows key to open the Start Menu
- Select Search
- Type-in CMD
- Right-click on Command Prompt from the search results list
- Right Click and Run as administrator
- In command, prompt type as below.
- chkdsk C: /f /r /x
The parameters for this command are:
- /f option will attempt to fix any found errors
- /r option will locate for bad sectors and recovery any readable information
- /x option will force the volume you’re about to check to be dismounted before the utility begins a scan
- If the C: drive is in use, type Y to run a scan at your PC’s next restart. If so, exit Command Prompt and restart the computer.
Step 5 – Repair Operating system.
If above resolutions steps did not help you to fix the issues, suggest you to repair or refresh your computer as faulty system files can cause the issue. Windows repair or refresh will repair faulty boot files instantly. To do that follow below links.
For further support comment below for post your questions in Forum