Here comes another Windows update error 0x800706ba on Windows 10. Few users experienced the issue with this Update error during the updates installation. You can encounter the issue with update error 0x800706ba when some of the Windows Update components are damaged or corrupt.
RECOMMENDED: Fix this issue in 3 simple steps. Takes only 2 minutes.
1) Download repair utility.
2) Install program and click Scan button.
3) Click Fix Errors button when scan is completed.
4) Restart your computer.
Also, we need to make sure that the services related to Windows Updates are running properly on your computer. This guide provides you all the possible troubleshooting steps in order to fix the Windows Update error 0x800706ba.
What factors causing Windows Update error 0x800706ba?
It becomes easier when you know the factors that is causing the issue before troubleshooting it. The possible chances for the Windows Update error 0x800706ba are:
- Required services not running.
- Corrupted Windows Update components.
- Damaged Windows files and services.
- Third-Party application interference etc.
There may be some other factors also causing this issue. As per our research, we have listed all the possible troubleshooting steps to fix the Windows Update error 0x800706ba. If you are facing the same error on your computer while installing the updates, this guide helps you to fix the error and install the updates properly.
How to fix Windows Update error 0x800706ba?
Follow the below resolution steps in order and check if the updates are installing fine without the error 0x800706ba. If the error remains, you can proceed with the further listed troubleshooting steps.
Quick Note: Before proceed with the troubleshooting steps, we suggest you to Create a System Restore Point first. In case, if something goes wrong during the troubleshooting, you can restore the computer back to previous working state.
Run Windows Update Troubleshooter:
Windows Update Troubleshooter in the Windows in-built tool that helps to fix all the minor issues related to the Windows Update. Therefore, before proceeding with any other steps, we recommend you to try running the update troubleshooter and check if the issue gets fix.
To run Windows Update troubleshooter.
- Press Windows logo key. In the search bar, type Troubleshoot and select the option Troubleshoot Settings.
2. Search and locate Windows Update option, click on it. Now, click on the option Run the troubleshooter.
3. Troubleshooter starts detecting for the errors. If found any, it will fix them automatically and shows you the detailed report.
Once it is done, reboot your computer for the changes to take effect. Then, try to install Windows Updates. In case, if the same issue with the error 0x800706ba occurs, you can continue with the further troubleshooting steps.
Restart BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service):
BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service) helps to transfer, download, upload the Windows Update files between the client and the server. In some cases, when the BITS service is disabled, users faced the Windows Update error 0x800706ba.
In this case, we suggest you to check if the BITS is running properly in your computer. Refer the below steps to check the same.
- Open RUN window, type services.msc and hit enter. It will open Services Window.
2. Search and locate Background Intelligent Transfer Service and double click on it.
3. Change the Startup type to Automatic. Click on Apply and then OK.
4. Now, Start the Background Intelligent Transfer Service.
After that, make sure that the below services are enabled to Automatic and started on your computer.
- Cryptographic services.
- Windows Installer Service.
- Modules Installer and
- Windows Update Service.
Reboot your computer now and try installing the Windows Updates. If this was the issue with the Services, issue with Windows Update error 0x800706ba should get fix and the Updates install fine. If the error remains, you can proceed with the further troubleshooting steps.
Reset Windows Update Components to fix Windows Update error 0x800706ba:
To fix the issue with Windows Update error 0x800706ba on your computer, try resetting the Windows Update components. This process will delete all the files and folders from the SoftwareDistribution folder. Therefore, if there are any files are damaged or corrupted, it will clear them up and then try installing the updates.
Refer the below steps to reset Windows Update components.
- Press Windows logo + R keys on your keyboard to open RUN window. Type services.msc and hit enter. It will open the Services window.
2. Search and locate Windows Update service. Right click on it and select the option Stop.
3. After that, navigate to the location C:\Windows. Search and locate the SoftwareDistribution folder. Right click on it and Delete it.
4. If it prompts any error, you can try renaming the folder. You can rename it to SoftwareDistribution.old.
5. Once after that, download the below batch script to reset Windows Update components on your computer.
Once after the above process, reboot your computer, make sure that the Windows Update service is running and then try installing the Windows Updates. If the error remains, you can proceed with the further troubleshooting steps.
Disable/Uninstall Anti-Virus program:
Third-party security program installed on the computer may interface with Windows files and creates the issues with Windows Updates installation. In this case, we recommend checking for the unwanted Anti-Virus programs installed on your computer and remove them.
Suppose, if you have purchased any Anti-Virus program, we suggest you to disable it or uninstall it for now. After installing the updates on your computer, you can try reinstalling it.
Below links help you to disable or uninstall the Anti-Virus program.
In case, if the above troubleshooting steps do not help you to fix the Windows Update error 0x800706ba, you can continue with the further steps.
Download and install Windows updates manually:
If the automatic updates and the above troubleshooting steps did not work, you can try downloading the updates manually and install them on your computer.
This process is quite simple. You need to check which updates are failed on your computer.
To do that Click on Start button, and then select Settings > Change PC settings > Update and recovery > Windows Update > View your update history.
Make a list of failed updates. Visit Microsoft Update Catalog website search for KB, download and install them. This should fix the issue with update error 0x800706ba. If the error continues, you can try with the System Reset. You can refer below steps to perform the same.
The above troubleshooting steps helps you to fix the issue with Windows Update error 0x800706ba and the updates starts installing fine on your computer. If you need any further help, you can comment below. You can also ask more on our Forum.