Users often encounter with the Windows Update error codes when they try to install Windows Updates on their computers. Windows Update error 0x80080005 is the error that many users found while installing the Updates. This issue mostly occurs when the Windows Update components are corrupted or if there is any issue with the Security program installed on your computer.
RECOMMENDED: Fix this issue in 3 simple steps. Takes only 2 minutes.
1) Download repair utility.
2) Install program and click Scan button.
3) Click Fix Errors button when scan is completed.
4) Restart your computer.
Some users also encounter the issue with Windows Update window not opening. In case, if you are facing the same issue, you can try running the Windows Update using Command Prompt or the Windows PowerShell commands. Refer this link, to run Windows Update using Command Prompt or PowerShell.
Problems or questions? Save time and get personal support. Ask your question!
As per our research, we have listed all the possible troubleshooting steps that helps you to the issue with Windows Update error 0x80080005. We have also tried these steps in multiple computers and got the positive results. Suppose, if you are facing the issue with Windows Update error 0x80080005 on your computer, you can try performing the below resolution steps.
Why the Windows update error 0x80080005 occurs?
So, before proceeding with the resolution steps, it is also important to know what factors using the Update error issue. It helps you to avoid such kind of issues in future or you will be able to resolve it easily.
Factors causing Windows Update error 0x80080005 are:
- Corrupted Windows Update components.
- Faulty Anti-Virus program.
- Damaged Windows Files and Services.
- Third-party application interference.
- Bad sectors in the hard drive.
Follow the below mentioned resolution steps in order and check if the issue gets fix after each step. We assure you that, at the end of this article, you will be fixing the update error and let the updates install properly on your computer.
How to fix Windows Update error 0x80080005?
Refer below resolution steps to fix the Windows Update error on your computer.
Quick Note: Before proceeding with the troubleshooting steps, we suggest you to create a System Restore point first. In case, if something goes wrong during the troubleshooting, you can restore the computer back to previously working state.
Run Windows Update Troubleshooter:
Windows Update Troubleshooter in the Windows in-built tool that helps to fix all the minor issues related to the Windows Update. Therefore, before proceeding with any other steps, we recommend you to try running the update troubleshooter and check if the issue gets fix.
To run Windows Update troubleshooter.
- Press Windows logo key. In the search bar, type Troubleshoot and select the option Troubleshoot Settings.
2. Search and locate Windows Update option, click on it. Now, click on the option Run the troubleshooter.
3. Troubleshooter starts detecting for the errors. If found any, it will fix them automatically and shows you the detailed report.
Once it is done, reboot your computer for the changes to take effect. Then, try to install Windows Updates. In case, if the same issue with the error 0x80080005 occurs, you can continue with the further troubleshooting steps.
Disable / Uninstall Anti-Virus program:
Sometimes, when the security program installed on your computer is damaged or corrupt, it may also block the Updates to install properly. With this, you may encounter the issue with Windows Update error 0x80080005.
Few users, after disabling and uninstalling the security program, they were able to install the updates without any further errors. Therefore, we suggest you try disabling the Windows Defender, Windows Firewall. Also, if you have purchased any third-party Anti-Virus program, we suggest you to disable or uninstall it and then try installing the updates.
Refer the below links to disable and uninstall Anti-Virus program on your computer.
For suppose, if the Windows Updates starts working fine after disabling the Anti-Virus program, we recommend you to completely remove it using the removal tools, download the updated set up file from the Anti-Virus official website and install it on your computer.
If the issue with the Windows Update error 0x80080005 remains, you can continue with the further troubleshooting steps.
Take Ownership of System Volume Information Directory:
If the above troubleshooting steps didn’t help, you can try taking the ownership of the System Volume Information directory. This directory is used to store the information related to the Windows Updates, Restore Points, Volume Shadow Copy, Indexing Service Databases etc.
Therefore, when you try to launch this directory, you may encounter the issue with error 0x80080005. In this case, granting the full control of the System Volume Information directory helps you to fix this error.
To do this, refer the below steps.
- Press Windows logo key on your keyboard. In the search bar, type CMD. Right click on Command Prompt and select the option Run as Administrator.
2. On the elevated Command Prompt window, copy paste the below command and hit enter.
cmd.exe /c takeown /f “C:\System Volume Information\*” /R /D Y && icacls “C:\System Volume Information\*” /grant:R SYSTEM:F /T /C /L
3. It will a while to execute this command. Please wait for some time. Once it is done, exit the Command Prompt, reboot your computer and try installing Windows Updates.
If the issue with Windows Update error 0x80080005 remains, you can continue with the further steps.
Reset Windows Update Components:
In order to fix the issue with Windows Update error 0x80080005, you can try resetting the Windows Update components. This process will delete all the files and folders from the SoftwareDistribution folder. Therefore, if there are any files are damaged or corrupted, it will clear them up and then try installing the updates.
Refer the below steps to reset Windows Update components.
- Press Windows logo + R keys on your keyboard to open RUN window. Type services.msc and hit enter. It will open the Services window.
2. Search and locate Windows Update service. Right click on it and select the option Stop.
3. After that, navigate to the location C:\Windows. Search and locate the SoftwareDistribution folder. Right click on it and Delete it.
4. If it prompts any error, you can try renaming the folder. You can rename it to SoftwareDistribution.old.
5. Once after that, download the below batch script to reset Windows Update components on your computer.
After running the above batch file, reboot your computer, make sure that the Windows Update service is running and then try installing the Windows Updates. Most users fixed the Windows Update error 0x80080005 after performing this step. Unfortunately, if the issue remains, you can continue with the further resolution steps.
Run SFC and DISM scans:
In order to fix the issue with Windows Update error 0x80080005, you can try performing the System File Checker (SFC) scan. It will scan for the corrupted Windows System files and repair them automatically.
To run SFC scan:
- Launch Command prompt with the Administrator permission.
2. On the elevated Command Prompt, type the below command and hit enter.
This scan will take some long time to complete. Please be patience. You can reboot the computer after this scan and check with the Windows Updates installation. In case, if the scan fails to finish or the if the issue remains, you can try running the DISM tool.
To run DISM tool:
- Launch Command Prompt with the Admin permission.
- On the elevated Command Prompt, type in the following commands, and press Enter on your keyboard after each command, in order to execute it. Make sure you wait for the first command to finish running before you start with the second one.
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
3. After running both the commands, close the Command prompt. Reboot your computer for the changes to take effect.
After that, try to install Windows Updates on your computer. I hope that, this should fix the issue with Windows Update error 0x80080005 and allows you to install all the latest available updates.
Upgrade using Media Creation Tool:
If none of the above troubleshooting steps helps, you can try running the Media Creation tool. It will not only repair the Operating System, but also download all the latest available Windows Updates and install them on your computer.
Use the below link to download Windows 10 Media Creation Tool on your computer.
After downloading the set-up file, double click on it and follow on-screen instructions to upgrade the computer to the latest version.
Computer will reboot multiple times during the upgrade process. After completing the update process, computer will boot to the desktop. It helps you to install the latest Windows Updates on your computer. This should fix the issue with Windows Update error 0x80080005 on your computer.
I hope that the above troubleshooting steps helps you to fix the Windows Update error 0x80080005 on your computer. Now, you will be able to install all the latest updates on your computer. If you need any further assistance, do comment below. You can also ask more on our Forum.