When you try installing Windows Updates on your computer, updates fail with the error 0x80242006. Users encountered this issue with Windows Updates, while installing the latest Featured update. However, the resolution steps help you to fix the update error to the previous builds as well.
RECOMMENDED: Fix this issue in 3 simple steps. Takes only 2 minutes.
1) Download repair utility.
2) Install program and click Scan button.
3) Click Fix Errors button when scan is completed.
4) Restart your computer.
If you are upgrading the computer from version 1709 to version 1803, from 1803 to 1903 and from 1903 to 1909 and if the update fails with the error 0x80242006, you can follow the troubleshooting steps from this article and fix the issue.
The error message appears as
There were problems installing some updates, but we’ll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help. Error 0x80202006
Why my computer prompting the Windows Update error 0x80202006?
Windows users are most familiar with the Windows Update errors. It’s also important to know what causing the update errors. It helps you to prevent the update errors to appear again.
As per our research, the factors causing the Windows Update errors are:
- Unstable Internet connection.
- Faulty Windows Update components.
- Corrupted Windows System Files.
- Third-party Anti-Virus interference.
We have also listed all the possible troubleshooting steps to fix the issue with Windows Update error 0x80242006 in this article. If you are facing the update error on your computer, follow the below steps and fix the issues on your computer.
How to fix Windows Update error 0x80242006?
Follow the below resolution steps one by one and try installing the updates. If the error remains after each step, you can continue with the further resolution steps.
Quick Note: Before proceeding with the troubleshooting steps, we suggest you to create a System Restore point first. If something goes wrong, you can restore your computer to previous working state.
Run System File Checker (SFC) scan:
When the Windows Update files saved on the computer are damaged or corrupt, you may encounter the issue with Windows Update error 0x80242006. Therefore, we suggest you to perform the System File Checker scan to repair all the corrupted Windows files.
Refer the below steps to run SFC scan on your computer.
- Click Windows button on your keyboard. Type cmd in the search box. Right click on Command Prompt and select the option Run as administrator.
2. On the elevated command prompt, type the below command and hit enter.
3. This scan process will take some time to complete. If any errors found, it will fix them automatically and shows the report.
One after the scan, reboot your computer and try installing the updates. In case, if the issue remains, you can try disabling the third-party Anti-Virus application installed on your computer.
Disable/Uninstall Anti-Virus program:
Third-party security program installed on the computer may interface with Windows files and creates the issues with Windows Updates installation. In this case, we recommend checking for the unwanted Anti-Virus programs installed on your computer and remove them.
Suppose, if you have purchased any Anti-Virus program, we suggest you to disable it or uninstall it for now. After installing the updates on your computer, you can try reinstalling it.
Below links help you to disable or uninstall the Anti-Virus program.
In case, if the above troubleshooting steps do not help you to fix the Windows Update error 0x80242006, you can continue with the further steps.
Run Windows Update Troubleshooter to fix update error 0x80242006:
Windows Update Troubleshooter is the Windows in-built tool that helps you to fix most of the Windows Update errors. Refer the below steps and run troubleshooter on your computer.
- Click on Windows icon, type troubleshoot and select the option Troubleshoot settings.
2. Search and locate Windows Update, expand it. Select the option Run the troubleshooter.
3. Troubleshooter will start detecting the problems. If found any, it will fix them automatically.
After completing this scan, reboot your computer and try to install the Windows Updates. If the error 0x80242006 remains, you can continue with the further resolution steps.
Rename or delete SoftwareDistribution folder:
To reset the Windows Update components, it is required to delete or rename the SoftwareDistribution folder. Refer the below steps to perform the same.
- Press Windows logo + R keys on your keyboard to open RUN window. Type services.msc and hit enter. It will open the Services window.
2. Search and locate Windows Update service. Right click on it and select the option Stop.
3. Now, navigate to the location C:\Windows. Search and locate the SoftwareDistribution folder. Right click on it and Delete it.
4. If it prompts any error, you can try renaming the folder. You can rename it to SoftwareDistribution.old.
5. Once after that, download the below batch script to reset Windows Update components on your computer.
After the above steps, reboot your computer once and then try installing the updates. This should fix the issue with Windows Update error 0x80242006 on your computer.
If none of the above troubleshooting steps help, you can try performing the System Reset.
I hope that the above troubleshooting steps help you to fix the Windows Update error 0x80242006 and install latest updates on your computer. If you need any further assistance, do comment below. You can also ask more on our Forum.