This guide will show you how to Fix Windows Update Unspecified Error 0x80004005 . Error 0x80004005 is translated as an unspecified error. Usually you get this error While updating Windows or when upgrading to Windows 10. We have listed possible troubleshooting steps since the error does not specifically tells you what the actual problem is, even in the Microsoft Books it is defined as “Unspecified Error”. This problem may occur if a file that the Windows Product Activation (WPA) requires is damaged or missing.
Warning : Before making any changes in your computer, I suggest you to create a System Restore point so that you can restore back your computer to previous working stat if something goes wrong.
How to Fix Windows Update Unspecified Error 0x80004005
1. Disable anti-virus blocking feature
The most common cause of this error is your anti-virus software giving a false positive report. If you have anti-virus software on your computer, first try to resolve this issue by disabling the software. After turning off the software, Windows update should work fine. Or else proceed with next steps.
3. Delete or rename SoftwareDistribution as it might be corrupted
- Navigate the path: C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download. (assuming Windows installed in C drive, if not navigate the root path)
- Select all files inside the SoftwareDistribution and delete them permanently.
- Next, Empty the Recycle Bin and try to install updated now.
- Run This batch script which can help you in fixing various kinds of issues related to Windows Update. This script can be used in all Windows versions. Batch File to Reset Windows Update.
4. Download and install updates manually
- Download and install failed update manually from Microsoft official website.
As we mentioned in step 1 disable antivirus unit you perform step 5. If you still unable to fix the issues, you may need to contact certified technician to reinstall the operating system. For further support, leave comments or ask more on Forum.