It is good news for the Skype and Alexa device users. You might be aware that, Microsoft has brought its Skype calling services to Alexa-enabled devices, starting with Amazon echo range. It means Alexa will be able to handle Skype calls, and eligible hardware such as Echo show will support Skype video calling. This integration allows users to make calls to mobiles and landlines as well.
Using this feature, you can make a call to individual or a group for making calls in up to 150 countries worldwide. With this feature, users also receive 100 minutes of free Skype calls (to mobiles and landlines in 34 countries) per month for two months.
How to enable Skype calling with Amazon Alexa app?
Follow the below simple steps to enable Skype calling with Amazon Alexa app:
- Launch Amazon Alexa app in your smart phone. Enter your email address/mobile number and password to login.
2. Make sure that you have signed up for Alexa Communications. If you have not, touch the speech bubble at the bottom of the screen to start signing up.
4. After this, Alexa Communications will be enabled. It will redirect to the Communication screen with the 3 options Call, Message and Drop In.
5. You can also connect to your Echo device for a chat by saying ‘Alexa, drop in’. If required, you can manage ‘Drop in’ settings via contact card. Drop In will use interactions with Alexa and motion sensors on the Echo Show to let your household members know you’ve been active recently.
6. Now, to enable Skype calling with Alexa, you will need to link Skype to your Amazon account in the Alexa app. Launch Alexa app, select Menu and click on Settings.
7. Under Alexa Preferences, choose Communications.
8. From the Accounts option, choose Skype.
9. Now, login to Skype and follow the on-screen instructions to link Skype to Alexa.
10. Once it is done, try making a voice or video calls with Alexa by using your voice. For example, simply say “Alexa, Skype Mom.”
11. Also, when you receive a Skype call on Alexa, you will hear the Skype ringtone. Then Alexa will inform you about who the call is from. To answer the call, you can say, “Alexa, answer.”
Which Alexa devices are compatible with Skype call?
The following Alexa devices support Skype:
- Amazon Echo 1st Gen
- Amazon Echo 2nd Gen
- Amazon Echo Plus 1st Gen
- Amazon Echo Plus 2nd Gen
- Amazon Dot 2nd Gen
- Amazon Dot 3rd Gen
- Amazon Show 1st Gen
- Amazon Show 2nd Gen
- Amazon Echo Spot
For more information about the Skype call and Alexa integration, you can visit this page.
Hope this guide helped you to enable the Skype calling with the Amazon Alexa app and enjoy the voice and video callings. For further support, leave comments or ask more on our Forum.