When you try installing the latest updates on your computer, you may encounter the issue with WDF_VIOLATION Blue Screen Error and the updates gets fail. Computer tries to install all the available updates. When it reboots, it crashes with the WDF_VIOLATION blue screen error.
The error message appears as:
Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We’ll restart for you.
If you’d like to know more, you can search online later for this error: WDF_VIOLATION
What is WDF_VIOLATION?
Before proceeding with the troubleshooting, let us first get an idea what is this WDF_VIOLATION. WDF stands for Windows Driver Frameworks. It is a set of Microsoft tools and libraries that is used in the creation of device drivers for Windows 2000 and later versions of Windows. The message WDF_VIOLATION indicates that Windows found an error in a framework-based driver.
What factors causing WDF_VIOLATION Blue Screen Error?
This WDF-VIOLATION Blue Screen Error is commonly observed in the HP computers and laptops. As per our research, it is caused by the faulty HP keyboard driver HpqKbFiltr.sys (version 22.214.171.124). This driver is incompatible with the Windows 10 version 1803 and 1809 on HP devices.
You may also encounter this issue on the other brand computers and laptops like DELL, ACER, SONY, LENOVO, MICROSOFT, ASUS etc. as well. The reasons for the blue screen error are:
- Issue with USB peripherals.
- Bluetooth or other driver issues.
- Malware infections.
- Corrupted system files.
If you are facing this issue on your computer while installing the Windows 10 updates, this guide helps you to fix the error and allow you to use the computer without any further issues.
How to fix WDF_VIOLATION Blue Screen Error on Windows 10?
Follow the below resolution steps in order and check if the issue with the blue screen error gets fix. If the issue remains, you can continue with the further resolution steps.
Note: Before proceeding with any other steps, we recommend you to disconnect all the external devices connected to the computer like printer, scanner, fax machine or any other device apart from mouse and keyboard.
Remove faulty HP keyboard driver:
As mentioned above, the main reason for the WDF_VIOLATION Blue Screen Error is the HP faulty keyboard driver, we suggest you to try removing it and check if that helps to fix this issue. If you are a HP user, we recommend you to try performing this step before proceeding with any other steps.
- First you need to boot to Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE).
- Generally, when the computer is unable to boot, Windows will attempt to enter Windows Recovery Environment to repair the system automatically. If Windows fails to enter WinRE, you can try turning off and on the computer multiple times or use the installation media as an alternative way.
- Next, go to Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Command Prompt.
4. On the elevated Command Prompt, copy and paste the below command line according to your version of Windows.
32-bit version of Windows:
dism /Image:C\ /Remove-Driver /Driver: C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\hpqkbfiltr.inf_x86_f1527018cecbb8c2\HpqKbFiltr.inf
64-bit version of Windows:
dism /Image:C:\ /Remove-Driver/Driver: c:\Windows\System32\driverstore\FileRepository\hpqkbfiltr.inf_amd64_714aca0508a80e9a\HpqKbFiltr.inf
5. After that, exit from Windows Recovery Environment and boot to the Windows. Check if the issue with WDF_VIOLATION Blue Screen Error gets fix. Most of the HP users fixed this issue by performing the above troubleshooting step.
Note: We have researched and found that, Microsoft has released a patch KB4468304 to help people remove HpqKbFiltr.sys driver automatically. If your computer can boot successfully, you can download the patch and install it.
In case, if the issue remains, you can continue with the further resolution steps.
Uninstall Bluetooth Driver from Safe Mode:
We found that the issue with WDF_VIOLATION Blue Screen Error also occurs with the faulty Bluetooth driver installed on your computer. When we uninstalled the Bluetooth driver, computer started working fine. Therefore, we suggest you try to uninstall Bluetooth driver and check if that helps.
We also recommend you to boot the computer to safe mode and then uninstall the driver from your computer.
Refer this link to learn how to boot the computer to safe mode.
After that, when you are in safe mode, refer the below steps.
- Press Windows logo + R keys to open RUN window. Type devmgmt.msc and hit enter. It will launch Device Manager.
2. Search and locate Bluetooth driver. Expand it. Right click on it and select Uninstall device.
3. You will get the below pop up. Check mark the option Delete the driver software for this device and click on OK.
Now, reboot your computer and check if the issue with the blue screen error gets fix. In case, if the issue remains even after these troubleshooting steps, you can try performing the further steps.
Run SFC scan to fix WDF_VIOLATION Blue Screen Error:
If the computer is booting to the desktop, you can try performing the System File Checker (SFC) scan to scan for the corrupted files in the computer and repair them. As mentioned above, the issue may also occur due to the corruption in the system files.
To run SFC scan:
- Press Windows logo, type CMD in the search bar. Right click on Command Prompt and select the option Run as Administrator.
2. On the elevated command prompt window, type the below command and hit enter.
3. The System File Checker scan takes some time to complete. If it detects any issues, it will repair them automatically and shows the report.
Once after the scan, reboot your computer and check if everything works fine without any further blue screen errors. If the error continues, you can try performing the virus scan on your computer.
Remove virus and malware infections:
The issue with WDF_VIOLATION Blue Screen Error also occurs if the computer is affected with the virus and the malware Trojans. Therefore, it is important to remove all the infections from the computer and make sure that the computer is secured.
If you have purchased any Anti-virus application, perform the full System Scan and remove the detected infections.
You can also download the Malwarebytes from the below link and perform the full system scan.
After the full system scan, reboot your computer and check if everything works fine. If the issue still remains after all the above troubleshooting steps, you need to proceed with the System Reset or Windows 10 clean installation.
Before proceeding with the clean installation, we strongly recommend to backup all your personal data to any external device to avoid the data loss. Hope this helps.
I hope that the above troubleshooting steps help you to fix the issue with WDF_VIOLATION Blue Screen error. It lets you to use the computer without any errors and install the latest updates. If you need any further help, do comment below. You can also ask more on our Forum.