The most annoying and the common thing that can be observed by the Windows Users are Windows Update errors. Whenever you try installing the Updates in the computer, you may encounter different error messages resulting fail of the Updates installation. Error 0x800705B4 is also the common error that has observed in the Windows 10 computers while installing the Windows Updates.
The issues related to the error 0x800705b4 reported by the Windows users are as follows:
- Windows Server 2016 update error 0x800705b4 – This issue can appear on Windows Server 2016, and if you encounter it, you should be able to fix it using one of our solutions.
- Windows 10 activation error 0x800705b4 – Many users reported that this error code is preventing them from activating their Windows. That can be a big problem, but you should be able to fix it by disabling your antivirus temporarily.
- 0x800705b4 Windows 7 – This problem can affect older versions of Windows, and even if you don’t use Windows 10, you should be able to apply almost all below resolution steps to the older versions of Windows.
How to fix Windows Update error 0x800705b4?
Quick Note: Before making any changes in the computer, we suggest you create a System Restore Point, so that you can restore back your computer to previous working state if something goes wrong.
Step 1: Reset Windows Update components.
This error usually occurs when the Windows Update components got corrupted. It has mostly occurred in the computers that upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 and 8.1 instead of performing a system clean installation.
The first thing you can try in order to resolve this issue is resetting the update components. You can do that by following these instructions:
- Click on Start button, type cmd in the search box, when the command prompt appears, right click on it and select the option Run as Administrator.
- In the command line type the following commands, and press Enter after each command:
net stop bits
net stop wuauserv
net stop appidsvc
net stop cryptsvc
3. After disabling the required services, you should delete some files from the C drive in a particular folder.
4. To do that, in the command line, type the following command and press Enter:
5. After that, type the below command and press enter.
cd /d %windir%\system32
6.After that run this batch script, which can help you in fixing various kinds of issues related to Windows Update. This script can be used in all Windows versions.
7. Once it is completed, restart Winshock with this command and press ENTER: netsh winsock reset
8. After that, you need to restart all the stopped services. To do that, type each below command and press enter.
net start bits
net start wuauserv
net start appidsvc
net start cryptsvc
9. Now, close the command prompt, restart your computer and try installing the Updates.
This should resolve the Windows Update error 0x800705b4 in your computer. If the error persists, follow with the further resolution steps.
Step 2: Run DISM tool to fix Windows Update error 0x800705b4.
The Deployment Image Servicing and Management Tool is a tool that comes built-in with Windows and can be used to service a Windows Image. It often fixes many issues with various aspects of Windows and can therefore help you with this as well. Note that this is a very powerful tool and making a mistake when you are running it can cause issues – so be careful.
Follow the below steps to run the DISM tool in your computer.
- Press Windows logo, in the search bar, type cmd. Command Prompt option will appear. Right click on it and select the option Run as Administrator.
- When you’re inside the Command Prompt, type in the following commands, and press Enter on your keyboard after each command, in order to execute it. Make sure you wait for the first command to finish running before you start with the second one.
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
3. Now, wait for the second command to finish, and close the Command Prompt by either clicking the X in the corner, or by typing in exit and pressing.
Once it is done, reboot your computer and try installing the Windows Updates. Hopefully, the updates will install fine this time without any errors.
Step 3: Disable Anti-virus or Firewall software.
Faulty or corrupted anti-virus software also can Windows update error 0x800705b4 issues. Perform as below to make sure anti-virus is not causing the issue. If Windows update error 0x800705b4 is working after disabling anti-virus software, you may need to reinstall anti-virus software.
Step 4: Restart Windows Defender Service.
The issue with Windows Update error 0x800705b4 while installing the Updates occurs if Windows Defender service is not running. So, make sure that the Windows Defender service is running in the computer by following the above resolution steps.
- Type services.msc in the RUN window and press enter to open the Services window.
2. Search and locate the Windows Defender Firewall service and make sure if it is running.
3. Now, double click on it to open the Properties, make sure it is running. If not, start the service. Select the Start up type to Automatic. Click on Apply and then OK.
4. Once the Defender service is restarted, the Updates should install fine without any errors and computer starts working fine.
If the error 0x800705b4 persists, you can proceed with the further troubleshooting steps to fix the update error.
Step 5: Reset or Refresh Windows 10.
Refresh or Reset your computer to re-register all Windows files. It will reset your computer settings to Windows default.
- Refresh Windows 10 without erasing data.
- Clean reset Windows 10.
- Clean install Windows 10 from USB bootable media.
The above steps helps you in fixing the Windows Update error in the computer and allow you to install the further updates without any issues.
Hope the above troubleshooting steps help you in fixing the Windows Update error 0x800705b4 and allow you installing the Windows Updates without any issues. If you find this article helpful, do reply in comments of follow us on Forum.