When you try installing the updates in your computer, you may encounter some error and the updates may get failed with the error 0x80073712. This error usually occurs when the files that the Windows Updates needs are missing or got damaged in the computer.
This error just does not pop up for any particular update in the computer. If any files related to any update to be installed in the computer are missing, this error usually occurs even if the files got damaged or corrupted as well.
The error 0x80073712 while installing the Windows Updates can be sorted out with some simple resolution steps. In this article, we are providing the step by step procedure to fix the error 0x80073712 and get the updates install fine without any errors further.
Resolution steps to fix Windows Update error 0x80073712:
Quick note: Before making any changes in your computer, I suggest you to create a System Restore point, so that you can restore back your computer to previous working state if something goes wrong.
Step 1: Run Windows update troubleshooter.
Before you perform, troubleshoot make sure, you logged in to Administrator account. If the Windows update troubleshooter does not work. Perform clean boot, reboot the computer and try again.
- On start menu search for troubleshoot. Click on troubleshoot.
2. Find Windows update. Click on Run the troubleshooter. Follow on screen instructions.
Note: You can also download Windows update troubleshooter from Windows Official website here.
Step 2: Reset Windows update components.
To reset Windows Update components, follow the below resolution steps.
- Navigate the path: C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download. (assuming Windows installed in C drive, if not navigate the root path)
- Select all files inside the SoftwareDistribution and delete them permanently.
- Next, Empty the Recycle Bin and try to install updated now.
- Run this batch script, which can help you in fixing various kinds of issues related to Windows Update. This script can be used in all Windows versions. Batch File to Reset Windows Update.
Step 3: Run DISM tool to fix Windows Update error 0x80073712.
The Deployment Image Servicing and Management Tool is a tool that comes built-in with Windows and can be used to service a Windows Image. It often fixes many issues with various aspects of Windows and can therefore help you with this as well. Note that this is a very powerful tool and making a mistake when you are running it can cause issues – so be careful.
Follow the below steps to run the DISM tool in your computer.
- Press Windows logo, in the search bar, type cmd. Command Prompt option will appear. Right click on it and select the option Run as Administrator.
- When you’re inside the Command Prompt, type in the following commands, and press Enter on your keyboard after each command, in order to execute it. Make sure you wait for the first command to finish running before you start with the second one.
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
3. Now, wait for the second command to finish, and close the Command Prompt by either clicking the X in the corner, or by typing in exit and pressing.
Once it is done, reboot your computer and try installing the Windows Updates. Hopefully, the updates will install fine this time without any errors.
Step 4: Refresh or Reset Windows 10.
If the above troubleshooting steps didn’t work, you can try performing the System Refresh or Reset to re-register all Windows files. It will reset your computer settings to Windows default.
- Refresh Windows 10 without erasing data.
- Clean reset Windows 10
- Clean install Windows 10 from USB bootable media.
The above step by step procedure helps you to fix the Windows Update error 0x80073712 and let you to install Windows Updates without any errors. For any further help, leave comments or ask more on Forum.