Windows 10 comes with a Maps app that lets you search for locations, get turn-by-turn directions and see points of interest wherever you go. If you know you won’t have an internet connection on your computer, you can still use these features by downloading offline maps. You need Internet connection only while downloading the maps. Once after the download, you can use the maps without the Internet connection as well.
When you download these regional maps, you will be able to get directions and search for places like restaurants and coffee shops even when you are not connected to the internet. The quickest way to download maps is through the system settings. Follow the below resolution steps to use offline maps in Windows 10:
Step by step procedure to download and use offline maps:
- Open start menu by pressing the Windows logo key on the keyboard and select settings.
2. Select the System option from the settings window.
3. On the left hand side, select offline maps.
4. Click the + button, next to Download maps.
5. Select the continent where your desired country is located. (Antarctica continent is not supported.)
6. Select the region you want to download. Depending on the area, you can download a whole country or you will have to drill down to a smaller region (for example, with Canada and the USA).
7. Repeat the same for any additional regions you want to have as offline maps. You can download more maps while other maps are currently downloading.
8. If you wish to download all the maps for the USA, you can choose all regions and download them. However, it will consume around 4 GB of your hard drive space.
9. If you wish to choose more than one country or region at a time, click the multiple-option button on the bottom bar.
10. Check the regions you want to download and download them at a time.
You can also do this from the settings menu of the Maps app itself, but it is an extra step and downloads won’t start until you close the Maps app. So it’s just simpler to do it from the system Settings app.
After downloading the offline maps, you will be able to use them in the Maps app even when you are in a location without internet. Some features, like the 3D view, don’t work in the offline downloaded maps, but for just getting around when you are traveling, Windows 10’s offline maps can be very helpful. The offline maps will also be automatically updated when your device is connected to Wi-Fi and plugged in.
If you no longer need the downloaded map and you would like to free up some hard drive space, head back to the Offline maps settings and select the maps to delete.
Using offline maps, you can get directions on your phone, tablet or computer, even without an internet connection. There is one huge advantage of the Windows 10’s Maps app over the competition, as it allows you to download the map of an entire country, rather than just a small portion of the map. For further support, leave comments or ask more on Forum.