Microsoft Outlook is one of the famous and older email client with simple interface. Outlook is part of Microsoft Office suite. Outlook more widely used for as email application. In addition, it includes calendar, contacts. You can download Microsoft Office it also includes Outlook from here. Few users on our Forum reported Outlook is not opening after Windows update version 1809. In this guide, we discuss about possible solutions to make Outlook work again.
When Outlook not working properly or Outlook not opening with below symptoms. You get a question why Outlook is not opening and what is causing the outlook not responding issue.
- Usually faulty Windows update may cause the issue
- Faulty Outlook add-ons
- Corrupted Anti-Virus.
- Faulty Outlook profile.
- Corrupted Outlook data files or PST files.
- Faulty system files or User account profiles.
- Oversized PST files.
As reported by users, Outlook is not opening or launching when clicking on Outlook icon with below symptoms.
- Outlook not responding when clicking on Outlook icon.
- Outlook stuck at Processing, stopped working, freezes.
- It does not start, stuck at loading profile.
- Outlook opening and disappearing.
How to fix outlook not opening issue on Windows 10
Quick Note: Before making any changes in your computer, we suggest you to create a System Restore point, so that you can restore back your computer to previous working state if something goes wrong.
Open Outlook in Safe mode.
First steps, try opening Outlook in safe mode. Safe mode can disable all plugins and opens outlook without add-ins. If Outlook opens fine in safe mode, culprit would be add-ins plugins. Also you can disable anti-virus and try to open outlook. refer this guide to know how to disable any antivirus and firewall.
- Press Windows + R to bring run command.
- Type Outlook /safe click OK.
Disable or Remove Outlook plugins.
Below steps works for Outlook 2010, 2013 and 2016 versions.
- Click File and click Options to open the Outlook Options window.
- Select Add-Ins.
- Select COM Add-ins from the Manage list.
- Click Go to open the COM Add-Ins window.
- Select the PCLaw Outlook COM Addin.
- Click Remove.
Create new Outlook profile.
Outlook will not open if outlook profile is corrupted, you can create new profile make sure outlook profile is not causing the issue.
Note: If you create new outlook profile, you may have to reconfigure outlook account and link the data PST folder. For the safe side you can back up your PST files and make a note of Outlook account settings. Alternatively, you can contact your ISP for outlook settings.
- Open Control panel, then Click on Mail Option.
- Click Show Profiles, Click Add
- Type a name for your profile. Check this links to learn creating outlook profile and account configuration.
How to back up PST files.
What is PST? PST personal storage table (PST) files are outlook data folders; where your outlook emails, calendar items, contacts, and reminders are stored. First, locate PST files location. Copy all PST files and folder paste them on external source or any other drive where you feel it is safe.
By default, Outlook 2007 and 2010 store PST files in AppData folder :
Outlook 2013 and 2016 now store PST files at the following location:
You can also find data files from Outlook file menu.
- Click on File tab and click on info tab on menu.
- Click Account Settings, and then click Account Settings.
- Click DataFiles.
Note the path and file name of your .pst file. For example, C:\Exchange\Mailbox.pst indicates a .pst file that is named Mailbox.pst and is located in the Exchange folder on your drive C.
Create user account
Corrupted user account can also create outlook not opening issues. Follow this link to create new user account.
Hope you are able to open Outlook without any errors now. If not you can try reinstalling Outlook or Microsoft Office. To do this you should have Office installation disk or setup and license key. You can download Office copy online using license key from this link. Before you reinstall make sure you back up your PST files. Comment below or post your questions on Forum We will do our best to help you get your answers.