Microsoft Edge is not only the default internet browser, but it is also the default PDF viewer in Windows 10. By default, all PDF files are opened with Microsoft Edge. Sometimes when you try opening the PDF files in the Edge browser, it might prompt the error INET_E_RESOURCE_NOT_FOUND.
RECOMMENDED: Fix this issue in 3 simple steps. Takes only 2 minutes.
1) Download repair utility.
2) Install program and click Scan button.
3) Click Fix Errors button when scan is completed.
4) Restart your computer.
Very often Windows 10 users complain about Microsoft Edge not opening PDF files with some error. If you are also using Edge as the default PDF reader but unable to open PDF files using Edge, following solutions might help you fix the issue.
Problems or questions? Save time and get personal support. Ask your question!
Resolution steps to fix the PDF files not opening issue:
Quick note: Before making any changes in your computer, I suggest you to create a System Restore point, so that you can restore back your computer to previous working state if something goes wrong.
Before proceeding with the resolution steps, optionally you can try few steps and check if the issues gets fixed.
Restart the Edge browser:
Sometimes, restarting the browser might fix the issue. So, if you have not tried it, first reboot your computer and then try to open the browser and see if you can able to open the PDF files, if not please proceed with the further troubleshooting steps.
Try opening another PDF file:
There are a chances that the issue might be only with the particular PDF file. So, to make sure, try opening any other PDF files from your computer. If the other PDF files are opening fine, then it might be the issue with that particular file and it might have corrupted. If the issue persists with the other files as well, then proceed with the further troubleshooting steps.
Check the Windows editions:
By default, Windows 10 N and Windows 10 KN editions do not support opening PDF files in Edge as these editions don’t come with Windows Media features. Without Windows Media features installed, Edge browser cannot open PDF files, according to Microsoft.
To check the edition, right-click on This PC icon in File Explorer navigation pane and then click Properties.
If you are on N or KN edition of Windows 10, please download and install Windows 10 Media Features Pack from Microsoft.
Reset Edge as default PDF viewer:
Sometimes, setting another program or application as the default PDF viewer and then setting Edge as default PDF reader again helps to fix the issue. Perform the below steps for the same.
- Launch Settings in the computer, click on Apps and then go to Default Apps.
- Select the option, Choose default apps by file type.
3. Here, locate the “.PDF” entry. Click on the Edge entry next to “.PDF”, and select any other program or app as the default PDF reader.
4. Finally, click on the current default app or program, and then select Edge again. Once it is done try opening the PDF file in Edge now.
Repair the Edge browser:
Note: The ability to repair Microsoft Edge browser is available in Fall Creators Update for Windows 10 (version 1709). The same feature doesn’t exist in Windows 10 Creators Update (v1703).
- Open the Settings app. Navigate to Apps and then to Apps & features.
- Search for Microsoft Edge entry and click on the same. You should now see Advanced options link. Click on the link to open Storage usage and app reset page.
3. Here, you will see two options: Repair, and Reset. The Repair option repairs Microsoft Edge browser without removing your data. The Reset option is meant to reset Microsoft Edge browser to default settings by deleting your data, including browser history, cookies, and other Edge settings.
4. As we are trying to repair the Edge browser, click the Repair button. Finally, if you see a confirmation dialog, click Repair button again to begin repairing the Edge browser installation.
5. Your Edge browser should be ready to use in a few seconds. If Windows 10 asks you to restart your PC, reboot the computer and try opening the PDF files.
By following the above troubleshooting steps, the PDF files should open fine in the Edge browser. If the issue still persists, you can try to perform Windows Repair to fix the issue. For further support, leave comments or ask more on Forum.