This guide is about how to fix “printer not responding after Windows update”. At first point, we can suspect printer is not working due to faulty or incompatible drivers installed through Windows updates.
RECOMMENDED: Fix this issue in 3 simple steps. Takes only 2 minutes.
1) Download repair utility.
2) Install program and click Scan button.
3) Click Fix Errors button when scan is completed.
4) Restart your computer.
When you see printer not responding error, printer does not print anything. This topic also discussed on Microsoft community, here we discuss about the solutions to fix printer not working issue on Windows 10.
How to fix printer not responding issue after Windows update?
Quick Note: Before making any changes in your computer, we suggest you to create a System Restore point, so that you can restore back your computer to previous working state if something goes wrong.
Restore Windows previous working condition.
Printer is not responding after Windows updates, recent Windows updates might causing the issue. We can try restoring the computer to previous working condition if we are sure printer is working fine before Windows updates. To do that follow below steps.
- Press Windows + R key together to bring up RUN command.
- Type as rstrui and press enter.
- Select the date that when your printer was working fine.
- Click Next, follow on screen instructions to finish, restore process.
Note: Once you initiate system restore, computer may reboot multiple times, you can just sit back and relax. Computer will pop up “Restoration successfully completed” message once it is completed. Try printing now. If printer is not working, continue with next step.
Reinstall printer driver and software.
It is best idea to download and install printer drivers and software’s from their manufactures. Before install printer drivers make sure, the existing printer drivers removed completely. Search for your printer model cleanup utility and run it. Few major printer manufacturer drivers website site below.
- HP Printer and software website
- Canon Printer drivers website
- Brother Printer Driver website
- Samsung Printer Drivers website
- Epson Printer Drivers website
Refer below related guides.
- How to Install USB Wired Printer in Windows 10
- Add a Printer via a Standard TCP/IP Port-Print Server
- Fix printer error 0x8007007E on Windows 10
- How to add or install the PDF printer in Windows 10
- How to install Hp Wireless printer in Windows 10
- USB ports not working after Windows 10 update
Disable Anti-virus temporarily.
Faulty anti-virus software can cause printer not responding error. Printer connection like USB ports or Network connections can be blocked by incorrectly configured or faulty anti-virus software. You can just disable it temporarily to check printer and uninstall it if it found as culprit. Refer below links to that.
Refresh Windows 10.
Corrupted system files may also cause printer not working issue, suggest you to refresh or reset Windows to repair system files. Follow below links to do that.
- Refresh Windows 10 without erasing data.
- Clean reset Windows 10.
- Clean install Windows 10 from USB bootable media.
Windows refresh should fix the printer issues, if not you have to check with printer hardware. Suggest you to contact your printer hardware repair center for further support. If you need further help, do ask more on our Forum.