Why USB ports not working after Windows 10 update (Fall Creators Update 1709 – Spring Creators Update 1803)
Few Windows users on Forum and Microsoft Community reported as USB ports not working after Windows 10 update. Most of the Windows users said USB ports were working fine before they upgrade to Creators Update: Fall Creators Update 1709 – Spring Creators Update 1803. In this guide will try to identify what is causing the USB ports not working issues and how to fix it. We have listed possible resolution steps below. Kindly follow them step by step and check if the issue is resolved after completing each steps.
RECOMMENDED: Fix this issue in 3 simple steps. Takes only 2 minutes.
1) Download repair utility.
2) Install program and click Scan button.
3) Click Fix Errors button when scan is completed.
4) Restart your computer.
Symptoms for USB not working.
USB ports not working on your computer for many reasons. You may face below situation when USB ports are device is not working on your computer.
Problems or questions? Save time and get personal support. Ask your question!
- USB Ports on your computer not recognizing USB devices such as USB mouse, Keyboard, Flash drive.
- Exclamation mark on USB driver.
- External USB devices not recognized.
- USB Flash drive is connected but not visible on my computer.
- Printer USB is not recognizing.
- Scanner USB is not recognizing.
- USB flash drive is not recognizing.
- Flash drive not detecting.
- External device connected – not seen on my computer or disk management.
- USB drives visible in disk management. Not in my computer.
What is causing the USB not working issues?
- USB drivers are corrupted or faulty.
- Operating system – Driver permissions are corrupted
- User account profile damaged or faulty.
- USB hardware itself gone bad.
- Incompatible USB drivers.
- Outdated USB drivers.
- Faulty Anti-virus or Firewall
- USB blocked by System Administrator
- USB device hardware is faulty such as Flash drive.
What is USB ports or USB devices?
USB stands for Universal Serial Bus. USB interface devices are most popular. They easy and simple to use for anybody. USB is a cross-platform technology that supported by most of the major operating systems. They used to connect to computer through USB ports to transfer or copy the data from one computer to another computer. Most of all hardware such as printer, external webcam, external wired keyboard and mouse used to connect to computer through USB cables to computer USB ports which very simple and easy interface. USB ports and devices been upgraded by day by data and improved technology and design. USB Technology introduced with USB 0.8 version on December 1994. The latest version available in the market now USB 2.0, USB 3.0, USB 3.1, USB 3.2. USB 3.0 ports are drivers called SuperSpeed plus USB interface with data transfer rate for USB 3.0 – 5 Gbit/s20 Gbit/s, USB 3.1 – 10 Gbit/s20 Gbit/s, USB 3.2 – 20 Gbit/s20 Gbit/s.
How to fix USB ports not working after Windows 10 update (Fall Creators Update 1709 – Spring Creators Update 1803)
Perform below resolution steps one by one. Check if the issue fixed after completing each troubleshooting steps. We have performed below steps on faulty computer to succeed to resolve the USB ports not working issues. May below information help you to resolve the issue on your computer.
Step 1: Make sure external USB device is working fine
Initially we can suspect on USB (Flash drive) device, which you are trying to connect with computer and it not working. Connect the USB (Flash drive) device to other known good computer to make sure Flash drive is working fine.
To check if the USB device is faulty, simply unplug it and plug it into another computer. If it works, the device is fine. If it does not, then you have isolated the problem! You just need to buy a replacement. If not continue with step 2.
Step 2: Correct power management settings for USB drives.
On Windows, there are certain settings where you can disable any devices or ports. Do check Windows power management settings.
- Press Start key type: Device manager on search.
2. Expand Universal Serial Bus controller on device manager.
3. Double click on USB Root Hub as shown in image.
4. Click on Power Management tab on USB Root Hub properties window.
5. Uncheck the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power, and click OK.
6. Repeat steps 3-5 for each USB Root Hub device in your list of Universal Serial Bus controllers.
Step 3: Reinstall USB Driver.
When you connected USB, device or USB flash drive computer says USB drive is connected but Windows fails to install drivers for it or USB Device Not Recognized. On device manager, you can see yellow marks on USB Host Controller.
- Press Windows + R at the same time to bring up run command. Type devmgmt.msc press enter.
2. Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers. See if you can a yellow exclamation mark on Host Controller.
3. If you cannot see such a device under Universal Serial Bus controllers, check if you can see it under other devices.
4. Double click on yellow exclamation mark device. Choose Driver tab, Click Uninstall.
5. Check Delete driver software for this device box. Click OK.
6. Leave USB flash drive or USB device connected to computer and restart the computer. Check if Microsoft detect and install the driver automatically.
Step 4: Modify Registry settings
- Press Windows key + R to open the Run dialog
- Type regedit and press Enter
- Navigate to the following path: HKEY_LOCAL_Machine > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Services > USB
- If the USB key does not exist into the list, then create a new key USB under Services. Now create a new DWORD value under the key that you’ve just created
- Keep the USB key selected and right-click on the blank space at the right pane
- Select New > DWORD value from the context menu.
- Rename this newly created DWORD value as DisableSelectiveSuspend
- Right-click on DisableSelectiveSuspend and select Modify
- Put 1 in Value data field and then click OK
- Restart the computer.
Step 5: Disable Anti-virus software.
Faulty or corrupted anti-virus software also can create USB not working issues. Perform as below to make sure anti-virus is not causing the issue. If USB device is working or USB ports are working after disabling anti-virus software, you may need to reinstall anti-virus software.
Step 6: Refresh or Reset your computer.
Refresh or Reset your computer to reregister all Windows files. It will reset your computer settings to Windows default.
- Refresh Windows 10 without erasing data.
- Clean reset Windows 10
- Clean install Windows 10 from USB bootable media.
Hope above resolutions help to resolve USB ports not working or USB device not recognized issue on Windows 10. If not you have to contact computer hardware, support centre as it seems to be issue with USB hardware. For further support, leave your comments or ask more on Forum.