About : “Unable to login Windows 10 stuck on preparing Windows Screen”
You may unable to login to Windows 10 as it stuck on preparing Windows screen. Usually you see preparing for Windows screen when Windows is loading required services, drivers, or waiting to complete task and process. As a first step, you can just restart your computer and try logging in again. Still Windows stuck on preparing Windows screen. No warries this guide will show to how to resolve the “Unable to login Windows 10 stuck on preparing Windows Screen?” issues in your computer.
Why and when this “Unable to login Windows 10 stuck on preparing Windows Screen?” error occurs
Usually you may see Preparing Windows screen when below points are true.
- Your computer is unable to load services.
- Windows has too many start-up items to load. Hence, it is taking time to load.
- Your user account profile may be faulty or not loading.
- Anti-virus is faulty or not allowing to load Windows.
How to fix “Unable to login Windows 10 stuck on preparing Windows Screen” error ?
Quick Note: Before making any changes in your computer, I suggest you to create a System Restore point, so that you can restore back your computer to previous working state if something went wrong.
Step 1: Reboot your computer in Safe Mode. Disable Start-up Items.
We shall go ahead and reboot your computer is Safe Mode to allow Windows load basic drivers and services. Learn how to reboot your computer in Safe Mode. Is your computer rebooting normally with did not stuck at Preparing Windows screen?
If Yes – Your computer is booting fine in Safe mode without Preparing Windows Screen – Then your Windows files are working as expected. So what is causing the Preparing Windows screen issue?
- Third party services on start-up are corrupted.
- Anti-virus is faulty or not allowing to load Windows.
Then let us learn How to manage start-up items in Windows.
In these steps, we are going to remove corrupted services and other items from Windows start-up. After removing start-up items, we are going to restart the computer in normal mode to make sure the computer is loading usually.
- Press Windows + R key at a time to bring up Run command.
- Click on Services Tab. Check Hide all Microsoft services. Click Disable all tab. Click Apply.
- Reboot the computer in Normal mode now. Is your computer booting normally without Preparing Windows Screen. If No continue with further resolution steps below.
Step 2: Correct User Profile settings in registry editor.
- Press Windows + R to bring up Run command and type Registry Editor. Click on enter.
- Navigate to the following key:
- This will have a list of all user profiles on the PC. Click on each S-1-5 folder and double-click the ProfileImagePath entry to find out which user account it relates to. On one of them, you should see a path like ‘C\Users\ACK’ where ‘ACK’ is the username.
- You know which account is corrupt. So, look for a key with name RefCount and change the Value data to 0 and click OK. If it is not available, right-click in the right pane, and create it.
- Next, double-click on the key State, make sure the Value data is again 0 and click OK.
- Close the registry editor and restart your PC.
Steps 3: Create New User account or User profile.
- Go to Settings. You can get there from the Start menu.
- Click Accounts.
- Click Family & Other Users in the left windowpane.
- Click “Add a family member” or “Add someone else to this PC
- You can click on created user account to make it Administrator
- Select Administrator and click OK.
Refer this guide: How to create user account
Step 4: Repair System files Run System File Checker (SFC scan)
SFC is stand for System files checker. It is very useful tool in Windows. It can repair Windows files like DLL and services.
- Press Windows key to open the Start Menu.
- Type as command prompt or cmd in the search field.
- Right-click on Command Prompt. Select Run as Administrator.
- Enter the password if asked.
- Type as sfc /scannow on command prompt.
- Reboot the computer once it is completed 100%.
Step 5: Repair errors or bad sectors in hard disk drive.
CHKDSK is a Windows utility that can check the integrity of your hard disk and can fix various file system errors. To run it from Command Prompt, here are the instructions:
- Press Windows key to open the Start Menu
- Select Search
- Type-in CMD
- Right-click on Command Prompt from the search results list
- Right Click and Run as administrator
- In command, prompt type as below.
- chkdsk C: /f /r /x
The parameters for this command are:
- /f option will attempt to fix any found errors
- /r option will locate for bad sectors and recovery any readable information
- /x option will force the volume you’re about to check to be dismounted before the utility begins a scan
- If the C: drive is in use, type Y to run a scan at your PC’s next restart. If so, exit Command Prompt and restart the computer.
Step 6: Disable or uninstall anti-virus.
Check your antivirus manufacturer’s website for additional suggestions or Disable the antivirus software. And Disable the firewall in router. If you found outlook is working fine after disable the antivirus software, highly recommended to uninstall the same using their removal tool and reinstall it.
Follow below links to disable, uninstall or reinstall antivirus software from your computer
- How to temporarily disable any antivirus firewall
- Remove-reinstall Norton anti-virus using Norton removal tool
- Completely uninstall AVG products
- Disable Windows Defender in Windows 8/10
- Turn Windows Defender on or off in Windows 8
- Turn Windows Defender on or off in Windows 7
List of manual antivirus uninstallers:
Click the link associated with the antivirus software currently installed on your system and follow the prompts or instructions on the website. Once uninstallation is complete, you will need to restart your computer.
- CA Antivirus
- Comodo Internet Security
- Cyber Defender Early Detection Center
- Dr. Web : (Only registered Dr.Web users can access support content)
- FRISK F-PROT Antivirus for Windows
- G Data
- K7 Total Security
- Microsoft Security Essentials
- Norman Virus Control/Norman Security Suite
- Norton (Symantec)
- Norton Security Scan
- Panda Cloud Internet Protection
- Pareto Logic
- Spybot Search & Destroy
- Total Defense Anti-Virus (formerly CA Anti-Virus)
- Trend Micro
- Trend Micro Titanium
- Trend Micro Worry-Free Business Security Agent
- Vipre (Sunbelt Software)
- Windows Defender
- Windows Live OneCare
- Windows Security Essentials
- Zone Alarm
How to avoid this error “Unable to login Windows 10 stuck on preparing Windows Screen?”
Windows 10 stuck on preparing Windows Screen error occurs mainly when you have many items on Windows start-up, User account corrupted, anti-virus corrupted. Suggest you to enable only required services in start-up and remove unwanted services, as Windows may take time to load them. Optimize your computer to work faster and smoother. Do not install several anti-virus applications. As they conflict, each other create issues in your computer. Make sure your antivirus software is up to data and working fine.
Hope this guide helped you to resolve “Unable to login Windows 10 stuck on preparing Windows Screen?. For further support, leave your comments or ask more on Forum.