You may see error 0x80242fff while installing automatic updates on Windows 10. Microsoft does not explain much about this error. This error 0x80242fff usually occurs due to corrupted Windows update components, corrupted Windows updates cache. Let us learn how to fix Windows 10 update error 0x80242fff .
Some users reported that they are unable to update to the latest version 1809 on their computer as it ending up with error along with below symptoms.
- 0x80242FFF WU_E_UH_UNEXPECTED An update handler error not covered by another WU_E_UH_* code.
- There were problem installing some updates, but we will try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search web or connect support for information, this may help:
- Security update for Adobe flash player for Windows 10 version 1511-1803-1809 – Error 0x80242fff
- Update for Windows 10 Version x64-based Systems – error 0x80242fff
What is causing Windows update error 0x80242fff
You are unable to install Windows 10 updates due to following reasons listed below.
- faulty Windows updates components
- Faulty anti-virus or Firewall software.
- Unstable internet connections.
- Windows update downloads corrupted
- Software distribution folder corrupted.
- Windows update services and dependencies are corrupted.
How to Fix Windows 10 update error 0x80242fff
Quick note: Before making any changes in your computer, I suggest you to create a System Restore point, so that you can restore back your computer to previous working state if something goes wrong.
Step 1: Reset Windows update components.
- Navigate the path: C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download. (assuming Windows installed in C drive, if not navigate the root path)
- Select all files inside the SoftwareDistribution and delete them permanently.
- Next, Empty the Recycle Bin and try to install updated now.
- Run this batch script, which can help you in fixing various kinds of issues related to Windows Update. This script can be used in all Windows versions. Batch File to Reset Windows Update.
Step 2: Run Windows update troubleshooter.
Before you perform, troubleshoot make sure, you logged in to Administrator account. If the Windows update troubleshooter does not work. Perform clean boot, reboot the computer and try again.
- On start menu search for troubleshoot. Click on troubleshoot.
2. Find Windows update. Click on Run the troubleshooter. Follow on screen instructions.
Note: You can also download Windows update troubleshooter from Windows Official website here
Step 3: Perform Clean Boot.
- Press Windows + R at same time. Type msconfig. Click on OK.
2. On General tab, Uncheck Load start up items.
3. On Services tab. Click on Hide all Microsoft services. Click on Disable all. Click OK.
4. Restart the computer and try to run Windows update troubleshooter Step 2 again.
Step 4: Manually install failed updates
Use this link to manually download and install failed Windows security updates on your computer.
Step 5: Disable Anti-virus or firewall software.
Faulty or corrupted anti-virus software also can Windows update error 0x80242fff issues. Perform as below to make sure anti-virus is not causing the issue. If Windows update error 0x80242fff is working after disabling anti-virus software, you may need to reinstall anti-virus software.
Step 5: Refresh or Reset Windows 10.
Refresh or Reset your computer to re-register all Windows files. It will reset your computer settings to Windows default.
- Refresh Windows 10 without erasing data.
- Clean reset Windows 10
- Clean install Windows 10 from USB bootable media.
Hope updates are installing with out any error now.Leave your comments or ask more on Forum.
Manually install Windows update version 1809?
The latest feature update to Windows 10 is available from October 2nd 2018. If you want to update now, Microsoft has provided Media creation tool and the update assistant to upgrade manually. Go to the Page below and select Download tool now. Check this guide to learn how to install Windows 10 update version 1809. Leave your comments or ask more on Forum.