Windows Hello is a more personal way to sign in to your Windows 10 devices with just a look or a touch. You will get enterprise-grade security without having to type in a password. Most of the Windows 10 users reported that, ever since after installing the Windows latest update 1809, Windows Hello not working in the computer. Latest update released by Microsoft causing lot of issues to the Windows 10 users like data loss, system crashing, application crashing, computer not booting up etc.
The latest update that was released on 2nd October, 2018 has few issues including the Windows Hello. Microsoft paused the update version 1809 for some time to fix the issues and re-released it on 9th of October, 2018. Now, Windows 10 update version 1809 is ready for download and update.
If you are facing the issue with Windows Hello not working after 1809 update, then you won’t be able to login to the computer using the finger print or the face scanning. In that case, try to login to the computer using the PIN or the password and try to check for the Windows Updates manually. You will find the cumulative update KB4464330. Install all the detected updates including this one. This will install the latest version of the Windows Update that fixes most of the issues caused by the previous update.
How to fix the issue with Windows Hello not working after 1809 update?
As said above, you can try to check for the Windows Updates manually in the computer and install the latest version 1809 update to overcome the issues with Windows Hello not working after the Windows Update.
Follow the steps from the below link to download and install the Windows Update 1809 re-released version.
Alternatively, you can also follow the below resolution steps to fix the issue with Windows Hello not working after 1809 update.
Quick Note: Before making any changes in your computer, we suggest you to create a System Restore point, so that you can restore back your computer to previous working state if something goes wrong.
Reset Facial Recognition and Fingerprint Options:
To reset the facial recognition and Fingerprint options follow the below steps.
- Press Windows key + I to open Settings.
- Click Accounts and select Sign-In options.
- Locate Fingerprint or Facial Recognition options and click Remove under them.
- After that, click Get Started and follow the on-screen instructions to reset Fingerprint and Facial Recognition.
- Reboot the computer if prompted.
Now, check if Windows Hello working fine without any issues, if the issue remains, proceed with the further resolution steps.
Modify Group Policy Settings:
Windows latest 1809 Update might have modified some of the crucial settings of Group Policy. Therefore, we would recommend to launch the Group Policy Editor and check the settings related to Windows Hello functionality.
To perform the same, follow the below steps.
- Press Windows key, type gpedit, and press Enter.
- Click on Computer Configuration and open Administrative Templates.
3. Select Windows Components and open Biometrics.
4. Click on Facial Features and right-click on Configure enhanced anti-spoofing option.
5. Select Edit and disable the Configure enhanced anti-spoofing feature.
6. Once it is done, reboot your computer and check if the issue gets fix.
If the issue remains, you can try updating the required drivers from the Device Manager.
If some of the system drivers, most probably webcam and fingerprint reader drivers were corrupted during the upgrade process, Windows Hello may fail to perform. To fix that, try to update the corresponding drivers.
Follow the below steps to perform the same.
- Right-click on Windows key and select Device Manager.
- Locate the Hello, webcam, and fingerprint drivers individually and right-click on each of them.
3. Select Remove driver software and wait for the removal to be finished.
4. Repeat the removal with all Windows Hello related drivers and then reboot your PC.
5. Once done, open Device Manager, click Action and then Scan for hardware changes.
The system should automatically detect and reinstall the drivers.
Refresh or Reset Windows 10:
Windows Refresh or Reset will repair all the damages system files and get Windows Hello feature to work normally. Moreover, it will reset your computer settings to Windows default. Refer the below links to refresh or reset Windows 10.
Note: Windows refresh or Reset will erase your computer data permanently, please make sure you copy or back your data into external hard disk or any other external source.
Hope the above resolution steps helped you to fix the issue with Windows Hello not working after 1809 update. For further support, leave comments or ask more on Forum.