In this guide learn how to fix Skype error “Your webcam is currently being used by another application” on Windows 10 operating system. This usually occurs with Skype application. When you click on Skype, it opens but camera does not open and shows error your webcam is currently being used by another application.
RECOMMENDED: Fix this issue in 3 simple steps. Takes only 2 minutes.
1) Download repair utility.
2) Install program and click Scan button.
3) Click Fix Errors button when scan is completed.
4) Restart your computer.
In a computer there are several applications they use camera hardware and running without your knowledge, this is how your web camera might be busy or using by other applications. You might not see any application window which is using camera but conflict application might be running in background. This can be checked in task manager. Open task manager and end the app process if you suspect them using camera.
Problems or questions? Save time and get personal support. Ask your question!
What is causing Skype error “Your webcam is currently being used by another application?”
- Any other application, using camera, running in background.
- Faulty Anti-Virus or Firewall.
- Incompatible webcam drivers
- Faulty Camera App
- Webcam protection is enabled in Antivirus settings
- Skype App corrupted
- Corrupted Windows permissions
- Faulty Webcam hardware
Fix Skype error “Your webcam is currently being used by another application.
Quick Note: Before making any changes in the computer, we suggest you create a System Restore Point, so that you can restore back your computer to previous working state if something goes wrong.
Check Webcam hardware is working fine.
Faulty webcam hardware can cause the Skype webcam not working issue. If you are using external webcam, you can just test it with other working computer. If it is inbuilt one, visit this website to test your webcam online. https://webcamtests.com/ .
Allow apps to access the camera
You can choose which apps can access your camera by using this settings. Denying access only blocks apps from accessing your camera. Follow below steps to enable camera for Skype app.
- To do that click on Start button > select Settings > Privacy > Camera.
- Turn ON Allow apps to access your camera option.
- Under Choose which apps can access your camera, turn on or off the individual settings for apps and services.
Reset Camera App
Incomputable camera app or corrupted camera app can also cause webcam not working in skype issue. Reset the Camera app as below.
- Press Start button > Type and click Settings > Apps > Apps & Features.
- Choose Camera from Apps & Features > click on Advanced options.
- Click Reset button and restart the computer.
Reinstall or Update Camera drivers
Recommend you to download and install webcam drivers from camera manufacture website. Alternatively update webcam from device manager. To do that
- Press Windows and R key together and type devmgmt.msc press enter.
- In Device Manager, under Imaging devices or Cameras, locate and right click the webcam or IR camera driver to Update driver.
- Choose to Search automatically for updated driver software.
- Windows 10 would search online for the updated camera driver for you automatically. And the install it for you. Restart the computer and check if Skype error “Your webcam is currently being used by another application” is fixed.
Disable Anti-Virus and Firewall
Sometime anti-virus and firewall software can block Camera App. Hence disable anti-virus software temporarily or reinstall it if it is culprit.
Install Skype classic version
Official classic Skype is back with a new version 7.41. It is now available on the Skype downloads page. This Skype version Windows 7 and later versions.
Disable Webcam Protection on Anti-virus
Most of all antivirus software’s have Webcam protection option, you just have to make sure your webcam is not disabled by your anti-virus software. This option is available under Privacy Protection in Antivirus.
Reinstall Skype messenger
It is recommended to have latest Skype version installed on your computer. You can download Skype latest version from https://www.skype.com/en/get-skype/ .
- How to Enable Skype Calling with Amazon Alexa app
- Skype Webcam is not working during video calls
- Skype installation error 1603, 1618 & 1619 on Windows 10
Let us know in comments if this guide help you to fix Skype error “Your webcam is currently being used by another application or ask more on Forum.